a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Damages And Injuries...

First I thought I would report the injuries...some for me.  While I was helping Hubby after surgery, the keys in my pocket hung on the foot of his bed.  My pants acted like a bungee cord and jerked me back.  When the keys turned loose of the bed, my left hip bone slammed into the foot of the bed...man, that hurt!!  I have a bruise as big as Texas and it still hurts.  When I sit a while, I have to let it wake up and then it works after two or three steps.  One minor injury, after driving hubby to hospital with a tiny bit of worry on my mind and then driving back and forth to see him during thunder storms, I have noticed my wrists, my arms, shoulders and neck are killing me.  Just the result of a little tense driving, it will leave soon.  Or could that be the result of when I went to barn to bottle feed, stepped in some clay mud, fell down in cow manure and cut my knee in two places?  I had my mud boots on!  But my nightshirt did nothing to protect my knee.  Hey, did not drop the milk!  I am good.

Now, for the interesting tale of Hubby's transport.  Ambulance from one hospital to another, arrive at second hospital, attendants are transferring from one gurney to the other.  The gurney rolls from under Hubby!!!  The EMT caught Hubby and prevented his head from striking the floor but the rest of his body hit hard.  He was in so much pain, he is saying there are no injuries.  A fall versus a burst appendix, naw, the fall would not hurt.  That generated some paper work for the staff and ambulance. 

I think that covers the personal injuries stories.  Don't worrry, I will have some to add soon.  Bev says, the day's work is not complete until Gail gets an owie...so that will be another story.

High water and damages is what we will peek at now.  Who knows what we will uncover when the water is down, and we were just finishing cleaning up from the ice storm and tornado of years past!
Back corner of Marcy's house!!!
Here's some irony...the boat shed.
Hubby is trying to turn the water.
Normally, all you see here is green grass.
Under this water, lies a fence, really.
These culverts were installed by Entergy.
See the wisdom in their construction?
We told them they would never hold.
The water is going over,
which makes the water on the far side about eight feet.
This is a dry crossing, only for pond overflow.
At least, we got two new culverts...somewhere
and maybe,  two gates.

I am grateful for the rain.
The ponds are full.
The houses are still standing
and my family is safe.

20 comments:

LindaG said...

You sound like me as far as boo boos, Gail.

And good grief, re: the gurney! Just because hubby couldn't feel it... I hope the doctors checked him over really well.
And they better not bill you for that.

Wow. So much water. Glad to hear home and family are safe. I hope the livestock is okay, too.

*hugs* and God Bless. ♥

Country Gal said...

WOW! you guys are really having a tuff time! Hope all the bumps and lumps heal fast ! There are times ya just have one of those weeks! thats when I say I should never got out of bed ! Try to stay safe ok !
All that water hope it doesnt do any damage to her house! We have had 3 tornados touch down during the night in a town only a few miles away from us and the winds are soo high I am on the allert right now ! I have been in tornados when I was a kid !

Empty Nester said...

Goodness- I hardly know what to say. I am grateful y'all are safe too! And that the houses are still standing!

We are under a tornado watch today and have been getting a good deal of rain but nothing like what y'all are having to experience!

Stay safe and dry!

the canned quilter said...

How high's the water mama? All the rivers and creeks here are also out of their banks now but falling. I will continue to pray for hubby's speedy recovery and yours as well. Hugs

Dreaming said...

That's a lot of water!

I can't believe that they 'dropped' your hubby - but I guess trying to get someone on a moving target can be tough.

Bruises.... they are the story of my life and half the time I don't know how I got them.

Love the image of you in the manure in your nightshirt. Don't you hate it when things like that happen? Years ago my boyfriend was late picking me up for a date because he slipped and fell into the manure pile. I think I was grateful he took the time to take a shower!

Pat said...

Holy crap, girl! Talk about bad luck! Hope things settle down AT THE FARM, everyone feels better, and "the creek don't rise!"

Rudee said...

You should stock up on bubble wrap. The biggest bubbles they sell. Hopefully, once you're wrapped, the trapped air in the bubble will also help you float.

I can't complain of my water logged basement after looking at your photos. Holy smokes, Gail! That's a lotta water.

Achieve1dream said...

That's awful about dropping your hubby. Now I'm going to be terrified if they ever have to move me between gurneys. Hopefully that will be so many years down the road that I won't remember to be scared lol. I'm glad they kept his head from hitting the floor and I hope he's okay.

I hope you're feeling better too. I get the problems in my neck, shoulders and back too from tension and I've found yoga/pilates helps a lot with that. Please be careful!

Wow that is a lot of water. I'd heard the flooding was bad, but seeing your pictures is just unbelievable. Wow! I hope things settle down soon. I'll be thinking of you.

Irene said...

I literally have pains in my body when I read you describe the injuries of you and your husband's. Goodness, it's a wonder you're not both in the hospital in traction. I can advise you to be careful, but I'm sure you already figured that out on your own. Imagine them dropping hubby, though...

You sure do have a lot of water. When it rains, it pours must apply to you over there. I'm glad the family and the houses are safe. That's some relief. I hope all the animals are too.

becky said...

Jeepers, Gail!
That's a whole lotta stuff going on! Look at that water! Hope you & hubby are both feeling better soon. I love how at the end you tie it all together with gratefulness!
:) take good care!

carolina nana said...

We also got just a lot of water with high winds and thunder and lightening. A funnel cloud was spotted just to the southeast of our farm about 2:30 am but it thankfully didn't touch down,whew !!
The tornado sirens in the middle of the night are definitely a scary sound.
Glad you all are safe
Marilyn

carolina nana said...

We also got just a lot of water with high winds and thunder and lightening. A funnel cloud was spotted just to the southeast of our farm about 2:30 am but it thankfully didn't touch down,whew !!
The tornado sirens in the middle of the night are definitely a scary sound.
Glad you all are safe
Marilyn

carolina nana said...

We also got just a lot of water with high winds and thunder and lightening. A funnel cloud was spotted just to the southeast of our farm about 2:30 am but it thankfully didn't touch down,whew !!
The tornado sirens in the middle of the night are definitely a scary sound.
Glad you all are safe
Marilyn

carolina nana said...

We also got just a lot of water with high winds and thunder and lightening. A funnel cloud was spotted just to the southeast of our farm about 2:30 am but it thankfully didn't touch down,whew !!
The tornado sirens in the middle of the night are definitely a scary sound.
Glad you all are safe
Marilyn

carolina nana said...

We also got just a lot of water with high winds and thunder and lightening. A funnel cloud was spotted just to the southeast of our farm about 2:30 am but it thankfully didn't touch down,whew !!
The tornado sirens in the middle of the night are definitely a scary sound.
Glad you all are safe
Marilyn

Queen-Size funny bone said...

i hope everything and everyone reaches a norm soon.

Rae said...

I've been away for awhile and am just now learning about all you and your hubby have been through. I am so sorry to hear about it all. What a scary time. I am glad to know he is better. Now you need to take care of yourself too. I hope it gets better soon.

Jo said...

Hi Gail, I hope you and Hubby feel better soon. That 's a lot of water. Stay safe and have a good weekend. Blessings, Jo

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Word to the wise, don't sign a release from the hospital sayin' that Hubs is alright. Who knows what can happen down the road due to a 'drop' like that. Good thing the attendants had some good reflexes and Hubs head didn't hit.

We finally ended up with 14 inches of rain and nowhere for it to go. My MIL lives on the other side of the ragin' creek.

You take care sweetie! I flipped myself over my stability ball and did a head over hills flip onto my marble hearth. I just had to lay there and laugh at myself no matter how bad it hurt when I hit! Heeehehehe!

God bless and I pray Hubs is gettin' along well and you stay safe!

Susan Anderson said...

Can't believe how much you've got going on over there. Glad you are managing to survive it all!

Hope your hubby mends quickly.

=)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...