a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Confession Time...

I am a advocate of spay and neuter.  I strongly speak out against not breeding dogs/cats because there are too many homeless animals in our world today.  I think it is more humane to put an animal down, than to drop it off to survive, however it may.

I am a hypocrite.  Not on purpose, mind you.  Again, I have to use the excuse, or reason, as having too many irons in the fire.  My sweet little Ki-Anne had her first heat...I prevented her from being bred.  The second heat, I was not so lucky.  Didn't help that it was only three months after the first.  I work all the time and the closest vet is thirty miles away...no excuse, I know.

TP is spayed, Lil is spayed, Maggie is almost eight and has never been bred...because I usually have a brain.  The boys(Cutter and Squiggie, a Rat and a Jack/Rat) have not been altered...therein lies my mistake...and the fact that I simply did not ask Hubby to take Ki to the vet in a timely manner.

Yes, I am an idiot.  I admit it...dumb, dumb, dumb!!  Tried to get an appointment before and the vet could not spay her until mid-December!  I could not abort the puppies.

So after a long night of whining and digging...I knew Ki, my baby Ki, a little over a year old was in labor!!!  I let her out to potty this morning and she disappeared.  She gave birth under the lodge.  I crawled until I could crawl no more...I could not reach the narrow spot she had chosen for her labor room. 

When Andrew returned from a ballgame, I enlisted him and his much slimer, more agile body to retrieve the babies.  Even he admitted that is was a tight fit for him and has some scrapes to prove it.  The pups and Ki are safely in the house now...only EIGHT.  Like I said, I am dumb, dumb, dumb!!!! 

All appear to be doing fine, Ki is being a wonderful mother.  I fear for the runt.  He is tiny and was chilled when we retrieved him.  Hubs has held him under his shirt to warm him and had continued to place him on the milk bar but...we shall have to wait and see.

As you know Ki-Anne was a pup from a dog that had been thrown away...I have bored you many times with stories.  You may also remember, Ki was born with a natural bobbed tail.  Well, her babies have two full tails, two three-quarters tails and the rest are bob-tailed.  I have not checked the sex yet as I have been busy trying to help Runt nurse and making special food for Ki.

I apologize for being a hypocrite.  I messed up...big time.  For now, I must care for the young ones and Ki as if it were planned, and prepare to find them all good homes.  I am making an appointment now for Ki in eight weeks and this will not happen again.

Without further ado, I would like to present my Ki-Anne and her little peppers, only hours old, born December third.
When pups are just born even their ears are closed.
The spotted fellow is the runt.
They are not wet,
their coats are shining with good health.

I made have goofed big time,
but all we can do is take it from here.

33 comments:

Farm Girl said...

I think they are beautiful pups!! Hey, you had your hands full. I think they are just a wonderful Christmas present. :)What kind are they?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Bummer. Poor Ki. Being a Mama of 8 pups is hard work. At least she had good care before her birth so her pups are so fat and healthy. I wish I lived closer as I'd be happy to help raise the runt. What a cutie..all of them.

Why don't you just neuter the boys for now? It's cheaper and easier on male dogs to be neutered.

~Lisa

K-Koira said...

I'd be pretty bummed with the vet for not being able to get you in earlier once it became a matter of spay-abort rather than just a spay.

That said though, you have some super adorable little pups now. And some great photo opportunities coming up! It would be great if you could find a spay/neuter voucher to send with the pups when the are old enough to go to their new homes if you can't get it done before they go.

Melbourne Girl said...

Wow they are all so gorgeous Gail...bummer about the vet's waiting list though, what happens in an emergency?
I'm sure you'll find good homes for them all, even the little runt. I wish I was close enough to put my hand up for on of the girls...but them's the breaks
Lesley

Rob said...

We had Tess spayed a few weeks ago. I hope the little one survives ok.

the canned quilter said...

Prayers sent for the little runt. Some of the best dogs I have ever owned have been runts. Lots of work ahead but they are oh so cute.

Country Gal said...

Hey things happen ! OMG They are soo cute wish we lived closer I would love to bring one home. Miggy would love that ! Hey puppies to photograph now WOOHOO ! And to name them ! Oh boy how fun ! Hey look at it as a good thing they all are healthy and OH SO DARN CUTE ! Have a good day and tell KI good girl must of been tuff on her own !

TexWisGirl said...

oh dear. i can feel your shame. and i would be the same way. you realy should get your boys altered too. i don't know how close any neighbors are, but there's always stray dogs around. no need to add more pups to the throw-away world.

that said, i know you will care for these and do your best to find them good homes.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Oh my. You may have a hard time releasing them to new parents when the time comes,or that could just be me.

T

jean said...

Wouldn't you know Ki would have eight! That's a lot! But, I don't think you should feel so badly. When the time comes, you will probably figure out what to do. Spaying and neuturing shouldn't be done until after a year, anyway.

ellen abbott said...

A for real puppy pile! Well, don't beat yourself up, we all do the best we can and life will have it's way. I'm surprised that none of the pups have Ki's coloring. Who's the daddy?

Michaele said...

Just love them and find them good homes. Bet neither will be too hard.

Dreaming said...

The puppies are beautiful, with their little round tummies. I love the puppy sounds and their puppy breath. Take a few minutes to enjoy that for me, OK?! I hope the little guy makes it - at least he looks like he is getting cuddled by sibling.
I appreciate your honesty in posting this - and your self-deprecation... it is so me!! Yeah, it all goes against deeply held tenets you hold near and dear, but you are right in 'taking it from here'.
By the way... your labels for the post are a hoot!
Love ya!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Like all babies they are beautiful! :) blessings, marlene

Far Side of Fifty said...

Let the boys love on them and touch them all over..get them used to kids and you won't have a problem giving them away. I used to raise Shetland Sheepdogs..sometimes I used a towel wrapped hot water bottle to help keep the pups warm..one time I even used a heating pad and would turn it on low and then turn it off. I saved a runt once..didn't sleep for more than an hour for ten days..always putting him to eat..he was the best dog ever..I gave him to my Dad..later he was returned to me..he was the joy of my life for many years. Sometimes there is nothing you can do for a runt..eight pups..that is a bunch...lots of little squeaks.
I am an advocate for spay and neuter too..but accidents happen..that is just life. :)

Jo said...

No matter how it slipped in, Gail, they're BEAUTIFUL. If I lived near you, I'd take four or maybe even five off you! We have such a problem with monkeys in our gardens and nothing deters them. Last week my neighbour heard from an expert in SA that the only thing to keep monkeys away from your garden, is a dog. So you see, with a lane full of expats, we all need dogs! Anyway, I look forward to your posts about these adorable little guys and girls. Bless you dearest Gail for caring. Hugs Jo

LindaG said...

Spit happens, as hubby likes to say.
Definitely get the males neutered. And after the puppies are weaned, get Ki spayed. Get others in the family to help remember and help you get it done.

I am glad that all are healthy and well. I wish I was closer, too.
*hugs* and God bless. ♥

Pat said...

Don't beat yourself up over this. You meant well. I know you will find good homes for the puppies. I hope the little one makes it. Take care.

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Ms. Gail....don't be so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes and then we have to let it go. Be good to you and enjoy the wonder of the new puppies. I'm like the others, if I lived closer, I would in a blink of an eye, be at your place to pick out a pup for the grands. I'm sure you will find good homes for all of them. XOXO Oma LInda

Irene said...

Wow, that's too overwhelming for me to even comment on. Oh wow.

Debi said...

Congrats on the new family no matter how they got here. She has a bunch of babes to take care. Give her a lot of loving and big hug.

Marti said...

What a bunch of sweet little pups! It's a hoot about their tales. Hopefully with such love, runt will thrive. I do think that eight is enough.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Well, well well...shall I just call you Granny now? They are darling and BE SURE YOU INTERVIEW for homes!...:)JP

Knotty Dogs said...

Wowie. Don't be so hard on yourself! They're just puppies! Whoever you sell them to, just have them sign a contract that if they can't keep the pups -- for any reason -- that the pup comes back to you always. That's all. No biggie. What a cute bunch! Can't wait to warch them grow!

becky said...

Well Gail, from what I know of you, you will find a good home for each & everyone of them when the time is right. Heck, YOU might even keep that little runt if he makes it. You have a good heart, Lady.

Rudee said...

Well they're just beautiful and the children are going to love this experience. I'm sure you'll find all of them some homes and they'll bring people as much joy as Ki has brought to you.

Now...who's the daddy?

Judy said...

They are beautiful...congratulations grandma/grandpa...

We all goof occasionally...

Susan Anderson said...

Can't believe Ki is a mother. I still think of her as such a puppy herself! But looking at her, I can see how she's matured.

I'm glad she is being a good mother, and I hope you find wonderful, loving homes for those darling pups.

=)

Jenny said...

What darling puppies. I think the difference here is that you recognize the important of spaying and neutering.

These sweet things look like an adorable mishap, though!

Deb said...

those little ones are beautiful "mistakes" --good luck!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh my friend, don't kick yourself too hard. We plan on lettin' Pepper~Nipper come in heat once before we take care of her. We've heard that's best but I sure hope we don't slip.

She's still an mess of a buzz~saw. I've let her drag all her plunder in the yard just to save my house and car. I can't imagine any more of her runnin' 'round!!!

On the other-hand, nothin's cuter than a pile of puppies!!! Ya got your hand full this time sister!

God bless ya! :o)

DesertHen said...

Wow! What a surprise indeed! They are so precious and Ki looks like she is being a wonderful mama! Hope the little runt is doing better? Pats for the mama and little hugs for the pups!

Achieve1dream said...

Accidents happen! Don't beat yourself up about it. It's not like you did it on purpose. Everyone knows how busy and stressful life gets and how easy it is to procrastinate on some things. It's not the end of the world and you got some really adorable pups out of the deal. :) I can't wait to see them grow and at least you will find them good homes. A lot of people would just dump them and continue the cycle. Also I was told that our body temperature is lower than dogs so holding a chilled pup against your body can lower their temperature. A heating pad works nicely, just be careful not to burn the little guy. I know this advice is coming a month later so probably not helpful for your runt, but you never know. It might come in handy someday. :D Keep us updated on the pups please!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...