a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Sunday, January 22, 2012

The 'Possum Battle...

The tracks were seen and depending on who was reporting, this new possum was AT LEAST the size of our biggest dog.  After being sited one night, while boldly dining on cat food by the front porch, we all agree, it was a huge one!

I imagine that's how the possum got so big...this one had a brain.  It has been able to elude all farm dog attempts of capture.  One night I even assisted the dogs in house shoes (me, not the dogs) and a big bad flashlight.  The trail was hot, the 'possum moving too fast for capture, the wild granny with house coat tails flapping in the cold, freezing air with the farm dogs doing their work...it was a scary picture. The 'possum hit an old armadillo tunnel and we had to admit defeat.

After a week of stalking, sitings, and even a few treed-in-the-tunnel nights, the dogs finally were successful.

This old fellow, finally captured and dispatched, mainly by Lil and Ki, was HUGE...a tad bigger than Ki.  Marcy got to witness the victory.  Oh, it was sweet!  Good dogs!!!

Last night, the commotion began.  What?  I thought we got rid of the problem.  Well, the big one must have been talking at the ole watering hole because another showed.  This one, much smaller and less wise, was dispatched quickly by the new lead 'possum hunting team of Lil and Ki.

For the soft-hearted, I apologize.  It is necessary to do this.  After the cat food, the chicken house would be raided, hens killed.

I don't know about you but, I think, I'd much rather have chicken to eat than 'possum!

18 comments:

Country Gal said...

Cute post ! WOW ! That was one big possum ! Glad ya got your possum ans yeah chicken is better tasting then possum lol Have a good day !

Chickadee said...

Wait, possums eat chickens? I didn't know that

Debi said...

That was probably a pretty bad fight. I heard opossums can be mean. Our dogs got one not long ago. I thought for sure he was dead laying out in the yard. Later that evening, we saw him get up and slowly hobble off. Guess he was "playing opossum"!

ellen abbott said...

yes it is too bed. they are mostly harmless creatures, unless of course you have chickens. they like chickens.

LindaG said...

Well, Granny always had possum stew.
But since I've only ever eaten chicken, I'd have to agree. ;)

Glad to hear you got rid of 2 problems. Hope that's all.
Hope your dogs are okay, too.

*note to self, need more than one farm dog*

Do you have to train them to hunt/kill possum or do they already know?

Dreaming said...

You painted such a wonderful picture... it made me laugh! I could just see you out chasing that possum!
One year we caught a possum in a crab trap! We had pulled the trap because a hurricane was coming. We threw it in the woods. The possum got in to eat the bait and couldn't get out! It sounds like you wouldn't need a crab trap... but in the even the dogs fail, it's and option!

TexWisGirl said...

our dogs are varmint killers, too. altho one time a possum played possum, and when i went to throw its carcass into the pond, it began wiggling. :)

Rudee said...

I'm disappointed by the lack of photography on this hunt. Though you tell the tale vividly enough,and I can see you in my mind's eye, I still want to see you in housecoat and slippers out there chasing possum!

Farm Girl said...

Well I do have a recipe for it if you want it next time. Braised possum I think it is called. :)

DesertHen said...

The one and only time I ever saw a 'possum (outside of a zoo) was while visiting my grandpa in Arkansas. It was at a distance, but he put his dogs on it fast! He had a passle of dogs and I think all of them took after it!

Marti said...

Have never had possum, but I suppose that it tastes like chicken.

Irene said...

I didn't know that opossums killed chickens and I'm now trying to reconcile myself with that.

carolina nana said...

AMEN !!!!! GOOD DOGS !!!!

Sandy Livesay said...

Love the post. Great dogs you have there. Look forward to reading more from your blog.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Yep, girl...cat food 'ill do that to 'em ya know? Heeehehehe!!!

What a great post and I can sooooo identify!

Have a blessed week sweetie!!! :o)

Vickie said...

Amen to that! I'd have paid good money to see you and your dogs chasing down that possum! Good dogs there, Gail!

Judy said...

I've heard that some people like opossum...

labbie1 said...

Good dogs! Wow! That was one big possum! At least you don't have to worry about rabies with them due to their prehistoric brains.

You're right about the chicken vs possum for dinner! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...