a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Old Box...

was found a few years ago by Beverly and me.  We were cleaning the old house at the top farm, where we grew up.  The thought came to check the attic, if it could be called that, it was only a space of rafters and air between the ceiling and the roof.  I climbed onto a chair that was on a dresser and opened the attic space.  I stood, head and shoulders into the attic space.

Far away, close to the chimney, I saw something tucked between the ceiling timbers...it was this box.  It was wet from the recent rains.  We opened it, saw papers but did not disturb them. We placed the box to dry so the papers would not be destroyed.

Tonight the box came to mind, I lifted it from the space it had occupied since that discovery on a rainy day years ago.
 I slowly opened the lid and stepped back in time.  I explored one small cardboard box within the large one.  I discovered when Grandpa Albert Jackson Pruett died, Granny Pruett got a check for $25.
I now know they paid $100 for their farm in 1929(No longer in the family).  I discovered they tested seven cattle for Avian Tuberculosis.  I found train tickets from 1929.
I found Italian money Uncle Clifton had sent during World War II.  I found his meal pass.  Uncle Clifford received metals for meritorious service while still a Private in Italy.  I know Uncle Clifton was in charge of the military mules during his basic training.
I found letters to home and the true penny  postcard and a three cent letter.  Letters that Granny Pruitt saved as precious letters from her two boys in the service, Uncle Clifton and Uncle Ugene.
I found some of my family's past, in this old box, and was very glad we had rescued it from the attic.  Who knows why tonight, after all this time, I looked.  I am very happy I did and very excited to explore the rest of the contents soon.

17 comments:

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

What an exciting find. And following on the heels of the family pictures and memoriabilia this morning wow.....how very special. Congrats on a substantial family historical find. The Olde Bagg, Linda

Sunny said...

Wow, what a wonderful box of treasures. How lucky to discover so much family history.
☼ Sunny

Anonymous said...

Everything happens for a reason! I'm really happy for you! That must be so exciting...!

Yaya' s Home said...

Incredible! Such a family treasure is worth more than gold. I'm so thrilled for you. Can't wait to hear what more you discover.

~ Yaya

Country Gal said...

Amazing family treasures! Have a warm and happy day !

Barbara said...

That sure is a box filled with treasures, have a wonderful day and ponder on all those wonderful findings, hugs Barbara

Irene said...

You were very lucky to find an old box like that filled with treasure. How fortunate that was. Have fun looking through all of it.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

How cool is that, you little treasure hunter you! What a gift to share with your family and pass along with the stories that go with it. Quite the find sweetie!! :o)

God bless and treasure this day!

BTW; Hubs made it home...very late (over an hour stuck behind the nasty wreck)to a warm house and a good supper. Like I said...he always makes it home.

Unknown said...

You have a real treasure! It's like they put it there for you to find so they can speak to you about their lives. I think that's a real blessing to find.

Judy said...

What luck that you decided to keep that box...such fun to discover all it's contents...find ways to keep them and pass them along to future generations...

LindaG said...

What wonderful, historical pieces to find!
I'm glad you saved it, too. :)

ellen abbott said...

How cool is that and what a great box all by itself.

Golden Eagle said...

It's amazing what you found in that box--wow!

Maria said...

That is really cool, and the memories you have unlocked!

Chickadee said...

WOW. This is priceless. I am envious that you have this family treasure but so excited for you too! And grateful you shared with us.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a treasure..what great family history! :)

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

NO!!! Please tell me they didn't get or destroy this!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...