a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

MAG 111

Tess Kincaid has a wonderful writing challenge.  There are no limits or named styles for  you to follow.  Just create the words from your take on the picture she supplies each week.  The magic of Mr Linky (and I'm not talking dirty!) allows you to connect your published interpretation of the weekly photo and visit all who joined the party.

This week's prompt by Tess had me bumfuzzled for a while but I came up with something...I always do.  I thoroughly enjoy these challenges, it stretches my imagination and causes ideas to surface that I never would have guessed were in me.

The Eagle Landed.
Tracking the eagle hadn't been easy especially in his city clothes but he had an idea where she was going with her bundle and he followed.  Tripping over briers, falling, and crying out with the frustration and the fear of failing, he continued, determined.

Climbing the bluff, he had to rest often, not accustomed to this type of exertion.  His heart, his fear kept him going.  This had to be a success, there was no choice.

Spotting the nest, the eagle was no where in sight.  Was this a good sign or a bad omen?

Racing, stumbling across the plateau, he approached the nest.  The habit of taking off his shoes as he entered his home was done without any thought. 

What lay before him was not within his scope of imagination.  He had read horror stories of giant eagles swooping up pets and children.  He had never believed until today.  

They had been in their own yard in suburbia with nothing to fear except where the newspaper boy threw the daily newspaper.  He and his daughter were laying on the manicured lawn, untouched by the natural world.  They had just finished a giggly game of "This little piggie..." and he had walked five steps to retrieve his iced tea from the lawn table.

The large female eagle had swooped down and in mere seconds had clasped the tiny human bundle in her enormous claws and just as swiftly climbed the air with her wings.  Up and toward the mountains, her flapping wings had carried his heart, his soul, his child with her.

As he crouched in the nest with no thought of danger, he observed his daughter laying with the eagle fledglings. There was blood, but wait, she was moving.  The small eaglets seem to be mesmerized by the food gift their mom had dropped into the nest as she returned to the hunt.

The child, just slightly scratched where the giant eagle had clutched her, was quietly playing with the fledglings' toes.  He thanked all the gods that ever were hearing his daughter giggle as she said, "And this little piggy stayed home".

26 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Enjoyed this tall tale, Gail!

;)

Country Gal said...

Wonderful story !

Brian Miller said...

ha what a fanciful tale...what a dad too to go an rescue her...and a cute closing line though i hope the eagles dont hear...

Irene said...

That's incredible. I can't velieve you came up with it. What an imagination. You truly are a writer, I have said it before. Do you believe me now? Super fantastic. xox

Little Nell said...

Great imagination!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Fun read sweetie, I can tell your havin' a good time with these.

God bless and have marvelous day!!!

LilliStJohn said...

It is most obvious you have a great talent...having said that, when r u going to think seriously about a novel?
Nice Tale Kiddo :) Much enjoyed

Leovi said...

Interesting, I love it, very imaginative.

Empty Nester said...

You never cease to amaze me! You MUST write a book! Or two. Or five! :)

Kathe W. said...

wow- what a great story- I like the detail about his shoes!

Betty Manousos said...

aw gail, that was a wonderful story!
i really love your style of writing and i am also in admiration of your talent as a writer. i admit that i have a bit of a passion for tales like this.

have a great rest of the day.

~T~ said...

Whew! You really built up the tension here. Good job!

Dreaming said...

Excellent! You had my heart going for a bit!

Lyn said...

An extraordinary tale..mythic, I really saw where you went! quite special...

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I love this. I love ittttt. Keep writing, little girlfriend.

Teresa

PS I'd buy your book. :)

Anonymous said...

Ha! Very clever and original take on the prompt! Much fun. K.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Very clever and original take on the prompt! Much fun. K.

Lynne said...

BRILLANT . . . how do you do it?

junebug said...

Fun story!! But now I'm afraid to let my daughter lay in the front lawn.

Laurel's Quill said...

Nice take on the nest. I too am a huge fan of The Mag. I love reading others' inspiration on the photos...where does Tess get them???!!!!

Maggie said...

Oh, what a great tale! Enjoyed it much. : )

Golden Eagle said...

Oh, I'm glad she's all right. Great story!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

This is a wonderful story!

Anna :o]

Christine said...

scary moments, yet the man has enough respect to take his shoes off before entering the eagles home, nice one

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, what fun! I love this!

Silent Otto said...

The eagle has landed, young Icarus !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...