a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A "Shocking" Tale

Last week I was cooking a few grill cheese sandwiches.  A snack, some called it, but to me it was a meal.

Butter melting, sandwiches developing nice toasty sides.  I hear a POP! and find myself in the floor with pan in hand and an electric burner flaming.  With no ideal what happened  I was on the floor over three feet away. The wall had stopped me.  I got up.  Turned the burner off.  Finished the sandwiches on another burner while my muscles quivered strangely.  I thought the pop had made me jump and I tripped. The more I thought, the less I believed my conclusion.

Asked Hubby for his input after every one ate their finely browned grill cheese sandwiches.   Hubby's assessment was the burner had shorted for some reason (there was a hole in the element) arcing the electric current partially into my body by way of the skillet.  I held the skillet by it's supposedly insulated handle.  All I know is one minute I was standing, the next I was not.  And it hurt!  Took me an hour for the muscles to stop dancing and almost a week for my shoulder to heal.

I'm getting a gas stove!

26 comments:

Sandra said...

OMG... so glad you are ok and able to tell this tale.... it does sound like you were zapped... i have never heard of this. i can tell you if that happened to me i would not have finished those sandwiches... i love grill cheese and you are right, it is a meal.

Farm Girl said...

Oh Gail that is so serious. You could have died. Electrical shock is bad. I am glad it turned out okay though.
Now if you could figure out a way to get that old cook stove to your house, that would be a dandy stove to cook on. :)

Artemis Grey said...

So glad you didn't get badly hurt, just shaken up and a little jolted. There is nothing quite so shocking, as getting shocked. No pun intended. My cousin stuck a fork in the wall socket as a three year old and was subsequently flung across the room. Needless to say that was never repeated.

I've never been shocked, myself, but I did have a rather exciting episode once where a silver necklace fell across a chord that was only partly plugged in. When the chain made contact with both prongs, yes, that caused a mild explosion up the wall, which caused me to engage in panic mode... and run directly into the door facing of the room, splitting my forehead open nicely...

Sketching with Dogs said...

OMG, that is terrible! Very glad to hear you are okay, you will have to get an electrician to look at it as soon as possible - only normal cheese sandwiches until then :)
Lynne x

Linda Wildenstein said...

oh gawd.....I'm so glad you are okay. Yes, definately gas.....yikes

Bethany Carson said...

Ouch! That sounds dangerous. Glad to hear you are ok.

I often think it is often the things we are most familiar with that can be the most dangerous.

camp and cottage living said...

Praise the Lord you're okay, Gail!

camp and cottage living said...

Praise god you're okay, Gail!

TexWisGirl said...

that's awful! i'd be terrified to use it again!

Lynne said...

Oh my goodness Gail . . . That is. down right scary, weird and dangerous! I hope you are ok . . . and here I am sending you my woes about a water heater! You better have the stove checked and have you checked out too!
YIKES!

Linda Kay said...

So glad you are okay...that could have been disastrous! Please make sure everything is hooked up correctly, so it doesn't happen again. Pretty freaky.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Crap, that's scary! Get rid of that stove at once.

Liza said...

Definitely time for a new stove. Glad you are OK.

Country Gal said...

Oh my ! I am glad your ok ! scary stuff ! I don't like electric stoves for so many reasons .

A Quiet Corner said...

Hmmmm...the arcing of electric current...not a good feeling...been there, done that! Glad you healed quickly!!!...:)JP

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

My GOOD LORD! That is one of the scariest home accidents I've ever hear of happening! An electric STOVE did that??? I use gas..but I suppose there are hazzards to any of them. Electricity scares me silly.

carolina nana said...

I know the feeling well after I got shocked this summer by a shorted out garbage disposal, took me all day for my muscles to stop quivering.
I didn't get knocked down ,glad you are okay.
How is your daughter doing after her accident ?
Blessings and Merry Christmas

Saucy Kodz said...

Jumpins, I am glad to hear you are OK. That's quite a jolt you received. My brother got shocked once. He also had an insulated handle and boy did he jiggle for a minute. We are still getting rain, for almost 15 days now??? We are OK but there is some major flooding elsewhere a bit up the highway and some of the lower areas around us.

Cheryl Ann said...

OMG! Glad you are okay now. I had a concussion this time last year from a 3rd grade boy running into me while he was kicking a soccer ball. Yes, get a gas stove!

Delores said...

Who needs a defibrillator when they have a dicey stove? Still...you might want to get a check up. Thank goodness it wasn't a worse outcome.

Arkansas Patti said...

Yikes, that is scary. Glad you are OK. Yes go gas. Never shocks a person and keeps you cooking during a power outage.

Sandy said...

This could have been worse. I hate electric stoves. I would get myself a gas stove too!!!

gld said...

Wow just another reason I am glad I have a gas range. I have never heard of that happening before.

What if you had a pace maker or some other illness....could have been fatal! So glad you weren't hurt.

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Yikes. I always choose gas when possible. I would never get an electric stove. I just don't trust them. I was shocked by a freezer as a kid. Scary stuff. Glad you are okay.

Far Side of Fifty said...

That would cure me from cooking for good:) Glad you are okay

Carol Henrichs said...

Yikes! I, or rather my husband had a similar occurrence. I had lifted the stove top for cleaning. I couldn't get one of the riser rails that hold it up, to slide back into the stove's frame. I was getting aggravated, so called the husband. As he was trying to maneuver the stove top back into place, apparently he rubbed the wires together and it zapped him. I guess I'll turn off the power next time I want to clean it. Glad you and my hubby are OK.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...