a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Scare Crow...Not A True Tale

Driving through the pouring rain with seat belt unfastened, her only thoughts were the thirty-four years behind her.

Memories from those years lay piled in the back seat.  Surprised it all fit, she counted them...the safety awards, the framed appointment notices, mixed decorations and the scarecrow.  Ah, the scare crow!  He was left hanging on the flag pole one Halloween.  She had kept him although his smile was a little creepy.

Driving into deep water, the tires began to lose traction.  She thought so this is hydroplaning as she was thrown through the wind shield.

The PT Cruiser came to rest with no visible damage except for the missing wind shield.

They found her close by.  She and the scarecrow lay as if embraced.  Looking closer you could see the scarecrow's stake had impaled her.

At her feet, unmarred, lay her retirement award.

13 comments:

Grammy said...

oH gAIL i HOPE THIS IS JUST A TALL TAIL. i HOPE YOU DID NOT GET HURT. DID YOU? PLEASE SAY IT IS NOT TRUE. I LOVE YOUR SCARE CROW. yOU WILL HAVE TO POST A FULL VIEW WHEN YOU GET HIM SET UP.

ellen abbott said...

OK, this was weird (yes, I know, odd statement coming from me). I hope you aren't talking about yourself.

mrscravitz said...

I hope it is a tale also, and that you are OK. Sad story.....

Rudee said...

Scarecrow from the backseat with a stake! She should have buckled that low life into his seat. Your fiction is always so clever. I'm amused.

Thanks for the seasonal entertainment.

Irene said...

You're so full of dark, wry humor. We should give you an award for That!

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Can't wait to see what story you could tell with a snowman.

Sunny said...

I'll never look at a scarecrow the same way again!
Sunny :)

SkippyMom said...

Thanks. I have two of these lil' suckers in my front yard and will no longer be able to look at them the same.

Kind of dark Gail. Hope you are okay.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

If I ever, ever transport Mr. Scarecrow again, he's sittin' in the passenger seat right next to me so I can keep an eye on him. Guess the fella' laid stake to his claim..Heeeheheee!

Good one Gail, have a super day!!!

Pat said...

Mwaahahaha! Good story! I guess some people missed the part in the title where you wrote, "NOT A TRUE TALE"!

Grammy said...

I am so glad it is a tall tail. You are so creative.

audrey y said...

I don't know about anyone else but, as a writer I loved your "tale"

Great post

I wrote a "scare crow" story a few blogs ago.

Audrey the homesteaders daughter

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hmmmm, I guess you could say her life was 'at stake' get it? har har har....


~Lisa

Very clever, my friend. Love your imagination and crative writing :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...