a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Friday, November 12, 2010

"All I can be-is me, whoever that is." Bob Dylan

What defines us as a person...the things we do, the things we think, what we accomplish or what our dreams are/were?

Each person we meet, even briefly, forms our character, each event adds to the making of ourselves, each thing we think, molds the person we've become.

As the fifty-sixth year of my life approaches, I wonder, who I am.  I wonder, which direction from here.

Is this the winter of discontent, of which Steinbeck and Shakespeare both wrote so eloquently?

I wonder...in the dark of the early morning.

8 comments:

the canned quilter said...

Sometimes I think life is a constant assessment of who we are and where we are going. Maybe just part of being human.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I believe that life is always a "winter of discontent". It's how we deal with it that matters. Is it time to just sit still and let it pass? Is it time to prepare to do something different? Or is it time to move on and do something beyond the discontent? Discontentment is a part of human nature. I believe it is what we do with it that matters.

Great post.

PS John Steinbeck is my favorite!!!

Sunny said...

After all these years, I am still looking for me, I wonder if I actually exist! LOL!
☼ Sunny

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

It's all what ya make of it baby! Life is a decision when ya open your eyes in the morning. I just wanna be happy! :o)

God bless and have a happy day sweetie!!!

Pat said...

I believe we are shaped by our experiences and the people in our lives. How we were raised is another influence on us.

Jay Watson said...

Gail,
Thank you for the deep and thought provoking words in this post. You truly do have a gift of language.
Best,
r/e

carolina nana said...

I am in my 56th year,have been since July. I wake every morning with a purpose for the day and try to live each day to the fullest. An 89 year old friend who still works on his farm everyday says that's his secret,to wake every morning with a purpose for that day. Don't worry about yesterday or tomorrow,be thankful for today.
Hope you have a blessed weekend.
Marilyn

Irene said...

Every day I try to achieve those moments of peace with myself. If I can have those, then I'm happy. I try to make them last as long as possible. Then it's hard work until I get tired and sleep well. I get the frustration out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...