a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Friday, November 5, 2010

The Day My Husband Almost Killed Me

Well, obviously, the attempt failed but the story cries to be told.  It was many, many years ago on a dark and dreary night...just had to say that part, but it was dark.

We were attending a local rodeo, before the usage of cell phones and the good sense of having emergency vehicles on scene.  They always save the best and the most dangerous event for last...bull riding.

No, I wasn't riding, but someone with worse luck than me was.  Needless to say, the rider didn't make it to his eight minutes and got a bull's foot to the head.  No doctors were there but my friend, a nurse, tended the injured while she directed Hubby to go make a call for an ambulance.

We were in our old Blazer, the girls in the back, yes; before the car seat/seat belt law, too.  Somehow Hubby had made a plan to drop me off at our road to call as he headed to town to help the emergency services.

He pulled off the side of the road to let me out and as I open the door, he changed his mind, without informing me.  I have one leg out on the highway's edge as he takes his swift left turn to our house.  I grab the arm rest, and yell for him to stop, he can't hear, the children are screaming because they know I am dragging OUTSIDE the vehicle.  My behind and right leg are bouncing on the pavement, I look down, my legs are headed for underneath the rear tires and there is a car behind us.

I make two decisions very quickly...I did not want to lose my legs nor did I want the people behind to see me. In a fraction of a second, I knew what I had to do...drop before my legs were crushed...roll away from the vehicle and stand  up so on one would know what happened.

I did it!!!  I was standing nonchalantly on the side of the highway when the vehicle passed me.  Meanwhile, back in the Blazer, Hubby has discovered what has happened and is telling the girls, Shut up, I have killed your mother!!!

Turning back to check on me, he offers me a ride to the house, now after this event there is no way this guy is driving me anywhere!!!  I walk to the house about three-quarters of a block...and then I look at myself.

My  best jeans are torn, those fine jeans I had poured my trim, curvaceous body (remember, this WAS years ago) into before the rodeo.  They were now ripped down my right side where the pavement had worn them off, my palms and knees were ripped, gouged, gravel embedded and bleeding where I had dropped to save myself.

I began to shake all over with the shock of my injuries, Melissa brought me sweet tea, the cure-all at my house, and I just sat on the porch, not able to move another step.

My friend stopped by to check on me after the injured rider was transported.  She said, Den told me he threw you out of the truck and I should check on you.  Then she saw me clearly!  She said, OMG, he really did, I  thought he just dropped you off at the house.

She tried to get me to go to the hospital but I didn't.  The bull rider was okay and that was what mattered.

And that, my dear friends, if you have lasted through my long-winded story, is how my husband tried to kill me...and almost thirty years later, I am still pissed about my jeans!!!!

26 comments:

Callie Brady said...

I hope you have lots of pairs of new jeans! Wow! That was quick thinking and action on your part. Thanks for the advice about using ice packs on my back. And thanks for the comments. I'm feeling better.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Wow! I suspected you are a tough woman able to leap tall buildings at a.... Pretty sure now...you ARE tough.

colenic said...

Wow...and you are still talking to him....amazing...great thinking on your part....and agree with the top comment- you should have many many pairs of jeans...

Empty Nester said...

You certainly are a forgiving person!

Judy said...

...and don't ever let him forget that he ruined your good jeans...

Country Gal said...

WOW ! I would of freaked out on him like crazy in a rage ! As for your jeans they probably saved your skin from what could of been torn much worse had you been wearing something else ! I would of kept them just for that purpose ! And your still with him OMG what a forgiving brave women you are !

Jo said...

Wow Gail, what a thing to happen. I sure hope your hubby bought you the best pair of jeans after that. I can imagine how you had delayed shock once you saw your injuries. Glad you are here to tell this amazing tale! Blessings and hugs Jo

Irene said...

I'm glad you made it through alive, Gail. That man is a fool. What was he thinking? That you'd bounce like a rubber ball? Thank goodness you are okay and not seriously injured. I know this happened years ago, but still...

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

That man is lucky to be alive. Stars above....testosterone poisoning is such a terrible disease. Did he come home after? Mine would have stayed gone for fear of death and destruction. Oh my.
The Olde Bagg

ellen abbott said...

I'd be pissed about the jeans too. Doesn't he understand how hard it is to find a good pair of jeans that fits right and looks good?

Jules said...

Sorry, but LOL! I would be mad about the jeans as well :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Heeeehehee, I'm sorry Gail but that line of your hubby's just cracks me up, " Shut~up, I've killed your mother!" Heeehehe!

This was a great story sweetie! Just goes to show ya what super women we farm chicks are!

God bless ya and have an incredible weekend sweetie!!!!

Tonia said...

Wow.. I bet you got all sorts of things your way after that for Looong while. How scary too. So do you still mention the time he tried to kill you to him?
I would have been really upset about the loss of a good pair of jeans!

D. Jean Quarles said...

A good pair of jeans is hard to find.

Unknown said...

Well I'd say he owed you dinner, at least.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great story..good thing you weren't wearing a skirt! Those jeans probably saved your life! :)

Rudee said...

Gail, this was a good story well told. I'm sorry about the jeans, but glad you lived to tell the tale.

Lori Skoog said...

I'm curious...What made you want to tell this story today? You are one lucky woman...how did your husband survive?

Lori E said...

It is one of those stories that he will never live down. Funny only because you were okay in the end.

Unknown said...

Wow! Amazing story! I am so glad you are ok and he failed in his bid!! xx

Anonymous said...

Men have no concept how hard a great fitting pair of jeans are to find! That is quite the story hope you never let him live that one down! LOL Traci

Gigi Ann said...

LOL... You always have the wildest, funniest, stories...
So glad you survived and are fine today and can write about it, with such good humor.

Have a safe and fun-filled week-end.

Razzberry Corner said...

Hey, a good pair of jeans is hard to find sometimes!

Pat said...

OMG, what's so amazing about this story, is not only did YOU survive to tell it, but also your husband is alive and well!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Ok..THIS time I DID fall on the floor! I burst out laughing, Howard is in bed and at the second burst of laughter he is peeking around the corner asking "What??"

One of the funniest, but worst, but funniest stories I have ever heard.

The worst is that he tore your jeans! No! I am kidding!
I wondered why he wasn't with you..making over you and then I remembered. He is a COWBOY for God's sake! Now the whole thing makes perfect sense. :) I'm glad you lived to tell the story and Yeah, I'm glad you are still pissed about your jeans! I would be too!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! I don't know who got it worse...the bull rider or you!

I'd be mad about the jeans, too!

~Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...