a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Grandma's Organ

Grandma Pruett's organ moved today.  It was in my sitting area, now it resides in a more proper place of honor in my huge dining room.  Now many of you may think, this is a strange place for an organ but not for our dining room.

The kitchen/dining room is where we always gather, at least, the woman congregate here, the men leave when their bellies are full.  We gather around the large hand made table of Mom and Dad's and visit.

Today Bev and I did some major rearranging and thinning...yes, thinning!!!  It was time.  Even though we live in an old large farm house, there were too many things...too much past.  We packed some boxes full of things that I could live without, things that no longer made my heart sing, and things we no longer used.  The past two days, we have packed eleven, yes, eleven, wonderful full boxes of THINGS.

Know I am not a hoarder, especially not like those on TV.  My things were organized and artfully displayed...just too many.  How many blue glass canning jars do you really need??  How many cookie jars?  How many cannister sets?  On and on, we sorted.

Simplify, simplify!  I don't want to spend my years dusting things I really don't LOVE.  If it did not bring a smile, a memory or a good feeling, it went into a box, all cleaned, wrapped and packed and taken to the shop.

Beverly asked what theme or direction do you want to go in here?  I thought and thought and believe I came up with a new one...Country Comfortable.  So Grandma's organ holds the place of honor and mother's old quilt cabinet is now the pantry full of home canned goods by Marcy.

Today I am five bar stools lighter.  Today I am one couch and one love seat lighter.  Today I am eleven boxes of treasures lighter.  Today my spirit soars because by letting go, I have grown. 

21 comments:

Silliyak said...

Good job!

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful organ! I'm glad it's in a place where everyone can enjoy it. Great job on simplifying. It's very liberating to have fewer items to worry about and keep track of - plus, all the extra space!!! Be blessed. :)

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Good for you. I love that freedom feeling purging "stuff" gives. The Olde Bagg

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Good for you. I love purging. Did some of that myself and painting a bath this weekend. It does a mind good, not so much--my body.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

what a beautiful and unique organ. I love older things they have such charactor.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a beautiful organ, it sounds like the dining room is the perfect spot for it! So you purged..way to go! Eleven boxes..wow I am impressed. You are right though if it doesn't conjour up a smile or a memory then get rid of the dust collectors:)

An English Shepherd said...

Looks like a great musical organ :-)

We also have dust and of course dogs hairs ;-)

Wizz

the canned quilter said...

Wow 11 boxws! When you get through feel free to box up some of mine.....

Country Gal said...

Beautiful organ ! We have my fathers organ .Papa (hubby) likes to play it, I have pics of him playing it, we to some times have gatherings and sing songs around the organ, Papa also plays the key board and guitar my father also played the piano and acordian ,I sang, my brother played the guitar and mum also played the organ mum and dad each had their own lol our family are musically inclined and back in the day we also all used to what we called it had a family jamming moment lol ! It was alot of fun ! Have a great day !

Rob said...

For me its so easy to get get in to that way of thinking that it might come in useful one day but the reality is it probably never will or if it does you can never find it when you want it so I think you do right to have a clear out. I think life should have one of those pop ups that come up on the computer every now and then telling you that you have unused icons on your desktop followed by an option to remove them.

Jules said...

Congratulations on the purge. Been doing some of that myself.

Love that organ, what a focal point :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Barbara said...

That organ is such a wonderful piece, I would love one myself, I know what you mean about too much, we need to get busy and start throwing out the unused things around here, I say good for you.
Lots of hugs, Barbara

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Purge, baby purge! It makes your heart lighter. I don't have room to keep anything that doesn't make my heart sing. Hubs tells folks that if it's not nailed down, I'll get rid of it!!! Not true...he's still around! Heeehehehe!

My Granny Walden had an old pump organ just like this one in her bedroom on the old farm. I can remember sittin' and listin' to the old hymns as she pumped and played away. My sister now has that beautiful piece of history. The stain on Grannies organ is darker than yours.

God bless ya and enjoy this week sweetie!!!

ellen abbott said...

Oh yes, that was the best thing about moving to the country house. Not taking everything!

Empty Nester said...

We have been working our way towards simplifying as well. It's a LOT of work! I have a couple of pieces of furniture that belonged to my grandmother and great grandmother that I love. That organ is beautiful! Glad you found just the right spot for it!

Judy said...

Wow!! don't know how you do it...I have so much...kept my mother's and my grandmother's...hubby's mother's and father's... even got some of my dad's... and he's not even gone yet...

Irene said...

You're doing a great job, Gail. That's a lot of stuff you cleared away. It's good to know that you've done so well.

Anonymous said...

Gail, I'm so jealous I have a garage full of stuff since moving in with hubby I have no room for a lot of it. I just haven't had the heart to go through it yet. I too need to unload! That organ is gorgeous! Traci

LindaG said...

What a gorgeous piece, Gail. :)

We don't have that much stuff yet. Well, I don't, but my hubby probably does. ;)

Rusty said...

Oh my but that beautiful organ brings back memories. My grandmother had one at her country cottage - many years ago.After she died it went to my aunt - and since passed on who knows where. As for clearing out 'stuff' - boy it can be hard to do. I was born near the very start of the great depression. My dad taught me how things could be repaired - not just discarded. Many things are not built to be repaired now - but old habits are hard to change. ATB!

Rusty said...

Oh boy, the blog 'Sweet Repose' would probably like to meet you. Now there is recycling (old) ju.. I mean stuff for a modern (?) world. Grinning. ATB!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...