a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Refrigerator Fiasco

Yep, sent the guys, that's right the guys, to get  a fridge.  Our old one was on its death bed and just honestly wanted the guys gone, out of my hair.  I was still trying to work outside...I got lots of phone calls.  Do you care about the color, do you want an ice maker, bottom freezer okay?  I said I  don't really care as long as it works and doesn't cost three thousand dollars.  So the guys took it seriously.  This is the beauty I got for under a thousand.

We had carefully measured the space in the cabinet, height and width.  We did not measure the door or take into consideration how heavy this baby was!!

Hauled in our truck, new fridge and proud guys arrived.  Took the box off and quickly discovered black gets very hot in the sun.  Out of the truck, the three of us, mostly hubby, manhandled that monster to the door.  Oops!  We had to take the outside door off the house, not the fridge.  Rolled it through the entire length of the den, which caused every thing to be moved out of place for this baby to get through (still out of place, haven't got around to putting it back yet).

It entered the dining room door with maybe a half inch to spare.  Perfect size for the hole...except for the decorative wood work that was hanging down.  Got a jig saw, cut that off, and FINALLY got the fridge in place.  Now, this probably took us close to an hour...we are not good at moving big things nor measuring correctly.

Hubby said, at least it is better than last time.  I laughed with the memory.  In the first house we purchased, the fridge would not fit.  After much thinking and  owning very few tools, hubby grabbed the chainsaw.  He cut the end off the kitchen cabinet and forced the fridge into the space by bracing against the wall, shoving it in with his feet. We decided if we sold, the fridge would have to stay...and it did.

Now I have this big fridge and when all the food got transferred.  We had to get groceries today.  A job I abhor!  I have bookoos of coupons and we headed out to Kroger's about thirty miles away.  We shopped hard.
It's still not full but there are many new choices in the fridge....now I have to go clean the kitchen.  I don't know how all that sawdust got in there.  Fiasco is not really the correct word, maybe it was just almost a failure.  In fact, it was kinda fun!

15 comments:

Empty Nester said...

NICE! I love having the freezer on the bottom. The only thing I wish is that ours was a drawer and not a door. As soon as this one dies, the new one WILL have a bottom freezer DRAWER!

I'm envious that you let them go deal with this. I wouldn't be able to let Hubs do it. No way. Now how. God only knows what he'd come home with!

Debi said...

That sounds like a fiasco, but look what you have, a big new refrig. You are brave sending the men folks to get a new frig. Hard telling what mine would have brought home.

Country Gal said...

Nice fridge ! Sounds like quite the hoot to get it in ! We have the side by side fridge with filtered water and icemaker and an full size upright freezer in the back room , we dont like to food shop either or keep traveling to town to do so, so we bulk shop that way we only have to shop once a month and theres only Papa and I so that works out great ! Great post ! Have a wonderful evening !

Pat said...

It WILL fit, damn it! Ha ha!

I LOVE that kind of refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom! Good choice! Kudos to the men!

Michaele said...

Wow! They did good didn't they? A new and FILLED fridge. That has got to make the week go a little better right?

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

How come there's never any room in my frig but there's never any food in the house? lol So how do you lke it? That's called the "French doors" right? Roomier? At least you didn't have to chop up the cabinets!

Dreaming said...

I love having a new refrigerator. I still don't feel 'at home' with mine... not sure where to put everything. Your fridge looks beautiful! Glad that ya'll got it in and everything is settled. It sounds like it was a great adventure that you will recall years from now!

Susan Anderson said...

Looks like a nice fridge!

=)

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Hey I love your Darth Vadar fridge....cuz I have it's twin in my kitchen. We had similar dilemna getting the big old thing in the house. Had to come in sliding glass doors in the living room and then in thru the dining room. I love the bottom drawer, it's huge and one of everything goes in there. Yeah for you.

LindaG said...

Congratulations on your new fridge! That is very similar to the design Ken wants that we will be getting for the farm house. :)

DesertHen said...

Nice! I like those freezer on the bottom models. I wanted one when our fridge went out a few years back, but the store didn't have one that would fit in my kitchen. As it is, the one I picked out turned out not to fit well either. Must be Murphy's Law on fridges!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I LOVE it. It's exactly what I want. They really did a good job picking it out. I have a hole (recess) that a new frig must fit.

Good job to all. Moving a frig anywhere is a huge job.

Irene said...

Argh, blogger ate my comment!

Far Side of Fifty said...

My next Fridge will have the freezer on the bottom..it looks like the guys did well..it is a pretty thing..I have a stove and a microwave that would match it..my fridge is white...I am not all matchy matchy in my kitchen:)

StitchinByTheLake said...

This could easily have happened at my house! blessings, marlene

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...