a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

A Drive To White River and Guion

Eleven and a quarter inches of rain fell At The Farm in less than three days.  The valley was roaring. I did not get pictures.  I haven't checked for water damage away from the house.  I do know where the grass was gone, the top soil is too.  We were lucky.  The water falls almost as quickly as it rises.

That water is finding it's way to White River and on down the line to the Mississippi.  It was some serious rain.  Places not far from us had road closings and I'm sure when the water goes down there will  be damage. The good news I've heard of no one in our immediate area hurt by this monster rain.

Today we drove to the Guion Arkansas where Hubby grew up and where we lived for a while as a young married couple.  The waters are receding but are a long way from be normal.

My heart goes out to those down steam as the tributaries add to the volume along the way.
I will let the pictures tell the story.
May all life be safe down stream.

9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

we had 5 1/2 inches here and that was plenty. parts of our county are dealing with flooding again for about the 4th time this year. we've broken the annual rainfall record by 9 inches this year.

The Cranky said...

The Wabash (closest river to us) is almost 15 feet over flood stage...

Gorges Smythe said...

I was raised on a hill where I could see the flooding below. That's why I'll never live in a lowland area.

Anonymous said...

You got hit hard.

Sandy Livesay said...

Guion Arkansas received all kinds of water, hopefully this will settle down.

LindaG said...

They are talking about a second flood on the Red River, but not as bad as June. They are discussing what to do to prevent the riverfront of Shreveport from flooding again.
So glad that you are all safe, Gail.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I an so glad you are okay:) Water can be so destructive:(

gld said...

I was wondering if you were hit in your area. It was a record setting downfall!
We are like you, and not in a flood zone, thankfully. Lots of local road closings and we are just staying put except for necessities.

My heart aches for those folks who were flooded.

Susan Anderson said...

We're finally getting rain in California. Sorry you guys have gotten too MUCH rain. Is this another connotation for "When It Rains, It Pours?" (I guess it's the original one, come to think of it!)

Hope the flooding resolves soon.

Happy New Year!

=)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...