a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

I Love Ironing Boards

not because I love to iron but because of the wonderful promise of an empty canvas. I'm not talking about the wooden ironing boards your great grandmother had.  No, save every one of them and cherish them. I'm talking about the ugly metal ones we cover with fire proof pads to help the iron glide while we're breaking our backs.  I personally try to avoid using one at all costs.

I've never heard of one breaking.  Luck came my way.  My daughter had a broken one and was going to throw it away.  No, no, no!  There's a lot of potential in that piece.
There's always a good use for holey flat metal so I took it to the shop.  I beat and banged and twisted until the broken legs were removed.  It could become a tool rack for the shop, a pan rack for the kitchen, hold thread and supplies for sewing...endless uses but I settled on one and began to play.
With paint and brushes I began.  
You can tell the notes aren't true but bear with me.
The term abstract saves me again and again.  Back to the shop I hammered in a cabinet handle then I decided it needed some bolts.  I threaded nuts onto three different funky bolts that fit into these holes and tightened them in place by adding another nut to the back side. So far so good.  Abstract.
Old drapery hooks clipped right into the holes and it became a jewelry keeper (the black circle off the board is a necklace, not paint off the board).  The bolts became a shelf.  A small hidden rolled piece of duct tape keeps Stevie Ray Vaughn's photo safe in a music loving teenager's room. A big bonus is magnets work too so keepsakes can be added and changed.
I added this little display on another wall. The worthless cd's hold the collector albums in place without damaging them.  The entire album with cover can be slipped out when needed.

He may start locking his room!

17 comments:

Lee said...

In that case I'll send you over my ironing board, Gail. I've not used it in years! I never iron anything these days. I bought a new iron about 6 or so years ago...and it's still in the box in which it came! I've never used it! lol

You're a very clever, crafty lady. :)

Existe Sempre Um Lugar said...

Votos de Feliz Natal
AG

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what a great way to recycle. I hate ironing and would avoid it at all cost, lol. You are clever and creative.


Happy Tuesday, have a great week!

MadSnapper said...

i know he loves this and it is truly clever.. the magnet thing i really like and there are so many uses for these metal boards that i would never have thought of. with hanging hooks in it would be great in bob's workshop.. instead of buying the board with holes, use one of these.

Country Gal said...

Great art works ! That's one awesome way to recycle . Thanks for sharing great job ! Have a good day !

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Love your creativity and your drive to make something from something else into something else. Yeah that's it. xoxo Linda

LindaG said...

I love it, Gail!
Blessings to you all. ♥

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Nuts! He will love it and appreciate that you thought of him. He is a good kid!! Kid? *sigh* Almost a man now..how the time does fly!
VERY CREATIVE! :)

Sketching with Dogs said...

That is so cool! Is there no end to your talents.
Lynne x

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Very clever! It fits right in.
I avoid ironing whenever possible. Ironically, if something gets ironed in my house, I'm the one doing it. My wife's powers of resistance are even stronger.

Anonymous said...

I have an antique ironing board, and I use it, too. I thought you were going to turn this one into a guitar rack. You certainly have endless creative energy!

Michelle said...

What a great way to repurpose that old board!

Inger said...

You sure got creative there, wow!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Much better than ironing:)

Lynne said...

Cool idea Gail . . .
You and my husband would be trouble . . .
He is the RECYCLE King . . .

Lowcarb team member said...

Truly amazing ...

All the best Jan

Existe Sempre Um Lugar said...

Boa tarde, regressei para escrever que as publicação das tábuas de engomar é fantastica.
AG

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...