a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Monday, June 6, 2016

The Igloo Cooler Galvanized

You see rust.  I see memories...and a bug.  Back to the memory.  Dad worked road construction when I came along although he wore many hats in his life time.  We traveled with the job.  
Sometimes we were able to visit Dad where he was working.   When he saw us he would stop the bulldozer and climb down to greet us with much enthusiasm, to share his day and the wonders he had seen.  On his bulldozer he always kept his galvanized Igloo cooler.  

The cooler was a big thing in my small eyes.  I don't know if it was a three or five gallon.  I know when Dad took off the lid and held it under the small spigot to catch a fresh cold drink it was the sweetest water I had ever tasted in my short life time.

Mom and Dad were big on all of us acquiring an education in daily life as well as in schools. Being the youngest of three girls I learned when my older sisters did.  When I heard galvanized I did not connect it to his cooler but rather to the definition of the action...to be galvanized.  I think that cooler encouraged that in me too.  
 Guess we had two big coolers.  Me and Dad.
Funny the things we remember.  

Thanks, Mom and Dad for encouraging us to learn and to always be curious. 

16 comments:

Lee said...

You certainly were taught well...and you learned so much...all of which I'm sure you still remember and use to your advantage. :)

Lynne said...

Cold watermelon in that cooler too?

MadSnapper said...

when i look at that first photo I see ART... rusty art.. and i love it and that pretty little bug... and i enjoyed your memories and as always they stir up memories for me to....

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a special memory. Cool you still had the lid.

LindaG said...

♥ ^_^

Gorges Smythe said...

We had one of those coolers, too. Dad took it with us when we went to work at the sawmill when I was a kid. Some hot days, we'd empty that thing by quitting time. I remember drinking a little too much a few times and getting "water-logged."

Anonymous said...

We used to have a cooler like that, too. We took it on fishing-camping trips. I think it is great that yours lives on not only in memory, but in tribute "at the farm".

Sandy Livesay said...

Gail,

Coolers have just as many memories as we have :-)

Susan said...

It's interesting how such mundane things (although, a galvanized cooler is a heckofa lot more exciting than one of the plastic things) can seem so important and magical. Or maybe it was just your wonderful father. xo

Ginny Hartzler said...

What wonderful memories! You must have loved visiting your dad at work. I bet to this day, no water ever tastes like the drinks long ago. What a cute ladybug picture!

Michelle said...

I think it is a piece of rusty art, my favorite kind! Nice that it gives you so many memories.

Martha said...

Those first two photos are spectacular!

And what wonderful memories. I really enjoy when you share these types of posts. We get to know our blogging pals!

Adam said...

finding one of those today would probably be tough since most of them are plastic

21 Wits said...

Your first photo is just beautiful! I really enjoyed your memories, they are interesting every time you share them with us.

Lowcarb team member said...

Wonderful memories ...

All the best Jan

Susan Anderson said...

Great memories. I love when you share them.

=)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...