a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Surprise!

I Like Dogs!

You may remember when Ki-Anne joined the family as an abandoned pup.  Ki took a few days to name herself and it was full steam ahead.  Never knew what she was, just a blessing I thought.  Then, due to my over site, she was bred before I had her spayed.  Bad me, but then we kept Junior and found good homes for the others.

After Marcy's ENT check up ("Come back in five years, cancer free!") we went to Salvation Army.  Always an outing we enjoy.

Walking by the second shelf a man asked me "Are you familiar with Mountain Curs?"  I answered, yes and the flood gates open.  I saw pictures of his pups, heard tales of all his dogs, and then we moved on to Bowie Knives (He was a blade smith), his son's military service, The Alamo and back to Mountain Curs again.

I ran through the store quickly and apologized to Marcy for taking so long.  Not a problem, gave her time to see every thing.

First I wondered...do I smell like a dog?  How did the man know I was a dog lover?  Had he asked every one that came in the same question?  It was an enjoyable educational day.

I remember reading the Compton's Encyclopedia and studying each breed of dog. Trouble was they showed only AKC.  I now have books on multiple dog breeds.  Call me weird, I like dogs.  I wanted to be a vet. Life happens so now I just have an eerie fascination with all animals along with an obsessive thirst for learning...and I love dogs.

I think I have discovered the mysterious breed in the lineage of Ki-Anne and Junior.  The facts fit!  How could I be so unaware?  Being a Mountain Cur (UKC breed and mainly an American dog)  is what makes both of these dogs a valuable farm pair.  They are the main poison snake committee, the watchers of the family yet always ready for a "Good dog!" or a pat on the head.

This fits the pair to a T.  http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/mountaincur.htm  I thoroughly enjoyed the temperament, origin, and description of the breed.

This link http://aboutdogmountaincur.blogspot.com/2013/01/basics-of-mountain-cur-training.html has an almost twin to Ki-Anne.

Now I know why she named herself after a hot pepper.  Ki-Anne, my undaunting, protective, intelligent, loving, useful farm dog.  It was a lucky day indeed when she was carried into my place of business.

13 comments:

MadSnapper said...

i went over to the link and that dog could be Ki-ann.. i think when people talk to you or to me, they sense a kindred spirit.. it happens to me a lot. mine are not about dogs but usually people who are in need or having a hard time i life.. you probably put out dog vibes... i love to meet up with a talker and i would have loved to be in on your conversation with this man.... i had forgotten Junior belongs to Ki-ann

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You were both blessed that day.
I think animal people can just sense it in others. Animals certainly know.

LindaG said...

One of the links I looked at, and one of the shows I watch - with a couple that have taken up homesteading in Arkansas - made me wonder if you have had to deal with any wild hogs? I hope not. They are becoming quite a nuisance in some parts of Louisiana.
Just curious as I noticed that Mountain Curs have been used against wild hogs.

You were indeed blessed, as was Ki-Ann and your family. God bless.

Farm Girl said...

How cool! I will check out all of your links.

LilliStJohn said...

Been away for a bit and dropping by today to say great news about Marcy. How great is that. I know what you mean about "talking about dogs"....most of the time one can sense from another person what they feel about dogs. I had not heard of Mountain Curs, so am going to follow and read your links. You are blessed indeed to have such wonderful paw paws in your family. Hugz of Happiness to Marcy and hullo to all. :)

Ginny Hartzler said...

You were meant to be together! God has a way of pairing up people and pets like that!

Arkansas Patti said...

How wonderful about Marcy's great check up. I know what a relief they are. You can exhale now.
Had to laugh at your maybe smelling like a dog:)) I get into dog conversations also but I am usually wearing a tee shirt that proclaims my love like--My Therapist Has a Wet Nose.

TexWisGirl said...

she is a wonderful protector. i remember reading about how she had an 'oops' litter. i think that was early on when i first 'met' you. :)

Lux G. said...

Hello, fellow dog's human. :)
Dogs are such a blessing. I can't imagine life without them. Even when I travel far, I feel secured and comforted when I see a dog nearby. They're like angels.

Susan Kane said...

What an interesting and talented breed. I look forward to blog posts about her.

Good news. So glad Marcy had an all-clear.

Lee said...

I like dogs, too...but I don't have one nowadays. I do have my two furry mates, though...Remy and Shama...my two cats. I passed comment to someone when I was out the other day, saying I shouldn't wear black. As I alighted from my car into the sunlight at the supermarket car park I noticed I was wearing a fur coat! The sunlight showed up the cat fur! lol Too bad! :)

By the way, the woman looked at me as if I had just escaped the cuckoo's nest. I love the look on the faces of some people when you speak to them. You'd swear they've never been spoken to by a stranger before! Perhaps next time I should carry with me a bag of candy/lollies and offer them one while I dare speak to them! ;)

Sandy Livesay said...

I'm sure Ki-Anne picked you because she knew you are an animal lover.

Anonymous said...

Mountain Curare originally from the Carolinas into Kentucky and Tennessee. That explains a lot as to the dogs my family always had on the farms in Tennessee. The dogs were valuable and used for hunting and farm chores. looking them up, they fit every description, too.

Well, Ki-Anne knew where she belonged, and she was right. She fits right into your pack and your heart.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...