a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

And On We Go...

I'm good at wasting time and letting nothing waste.  I spent one afternoon going through my acrylic paints that were drying up and rinsing each bottle to get the last drop of color out.  Why, you may ask. 

Moving a chest into Andrew's bathroom, a larger better one and I didn't think he would like this color.
I had no paint except red or purple so I created a manly color out of all my bits and pieces.  I also got to throw away about twenty bottles out of my paint box so there is room again!  I use an old carpenter's wooden carrier for my paints...now I have room for my Gesso and a cup of brushes....and we have a new color.
Looking good, kinda dull, I liked the pink white washed look but Andrew isn't into pink.  It's between a dark tan and army green.  Not bad, and I am so proud of saving the paint and ditching those bottles.  I ran into some colors that didn't mix well but the brush works great for that problem, just keep layering it on!
It was a good idea to put boxes under my work 'cause I got a little carried away.  One more coat and all should be even and officially a dresser made for a young man's dressing room.

Off to paint...waste not, want not.

20 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i like it! it looks almost gun-metal gray in the photo

dr momi said...

I like the final color! Much more manly :-)

Dreaming said...

It's looking pretty good. Yeah, I can see how he might not think pink was too manly!

Country Gal said...

Gail it looks awesome ! I like it ! Great job I think Andrew will love the colour ! We are to be getting freezing rain then rain for tomorrow I am getting fed up with mother nature teasing me after such a spring like day today lol ! Have a good day !

Irene said...

That's certainly an interesting color! It makes me wonder which ones you mixed. I hope Andrew is happy with it. You've got to consider his feelings too.

Lynne said...

I like the new paint color you created from your salvaged paints fom the past. In fact, I would choose the new color for the chest over the previous pink. Very nice!

Melbourne Girl said...

Well done Gail. It's great being able to use up bits and pieces like that.
Good job ! !
Lesley
xx

Unknown said...

A trip to a B.B. King concert, a certified super-duper gaming computer, and now a customized set of chester drawers. What does he have on you?

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

A fine chest of drawers for any Alpha~Male.

Your spoilin' him Miss Gail!

It looks goooooood.

God bless and have a sunshiny kinda day!!! :o)

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I love that color whatever it is almost as much as I love all the white paint in my house.

Love that you mixed your own too.

I'm so tired and now have the hiccups. Did you get any of the storms last night?

T

Susan Anderson said...

Perfect color for a guy's room!

=)

LindaG said...

I wouldn't have had the sense to use cardboard. Or anything else.
I would have been cleaning up after because I'm careful and don't drip. 0:-)

I think the dresser turned out great!

Alica said...

That's certainly a good way to use up your paint...and the color definitely looks more manly! :)

DesertHen said...

Recycling at its Best! Happy painting!

Farm Girl said...

I like that color. It looks like a nice "man color."

Unknown said...

I love gray!! I am your newest Linky Follower via the blog hop and hope you will follow me back.

Sandy Livesay said...

Gail, Great project and usage of old paint. I love making messes too. Is there a history story to the dresser?

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great use of old paint! AND the color isn't half bad for a young mans dresser either:)

Unknown said...

I do that too!! Mixing up all the odds and ends of paints. My hubby laughs at me, because like you I found a few that didn't mix well. But made it work :)

It turned out great!

stopping by via the Linky Follower Hop.

Http://www.scatteredmusings.net - Stop by if you get a chance and follow if you like.

Melissa Sugar said...

I think it looks fantastic . I wish I had the talent to paint my own furniture. I tried to antique or white wash (not sure what you call it) an old dresser and it was so bad I ended up letting the kids paint it and turn it into graffiti. At least then I could say , "My kids did it."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...