a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Monday, February 20, 2012

The Other Side...

In all trips there are endings and beginnings but the in-betweens are just as memorable.  Such was our trip with a great variety placed in the middle, not on purpose but just the happenings. 

We avoided killing three dogs...and had to stop for one completely.  He stood in my lane in the middle of no where Delta, with ribs showing and a collar.  As we were stopped in our lane, a fellow traveler stopped in the other, got out, checked the dog's tagless collar, and promised to bring food.  The second time we almost hit a dog, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a semi slow and curve away from the dog as the tiny thing stood frozen in the middle of a two lane.   The third dog to avoid death from car was a tiny thing, smaller than our smallest and looked as if he had just enjoyed a swim in the Bayou, with tail  tucked under his wet body, he darted across the highway, sprinting to safety. 

From this, a great realization was born.  Even strangers are filled with kindness and we never know who may be driving by to help.

On the flip side of the coin, we almost died...twice.  We had just turned onto a highway and had not reached full speed, a monster of an old Oldsmobile, maroon, if it matters, pulled out in front of us with no more awareness than a rock has awareness of the air around it. I braked, I clutched, I cut my car quickly to the shoulder, (griping so hard to keep control, I felt the muscle damage later) and almost to the ditch as my car slid in the gravel. It was still a very close call.  I sat for a moment, while Andrew enjoyed the thrill of it, I wondered if I needed to unpack my clean underwear.

The second time, Andrew was talking about a track field nearby and was pointing in that direction.  I am watching the road and that was good.  On a divided exit, again MAROON, but this time a  truck was headed directly towards us, full speed, wrong way.  My body reacted correctly and safely, while my heart raced. I swerved left and the truck drove right and left the road altogether, driving into a parking lot.  Andrew missed it all this time.  I told him what happened, taking longer in the telling than it took to happen.  I asked, Did you think all that erratic driving was just to see your track field??  I think not.

We laughed a lot, we talked a lot, I didn't embarrass him very badly...so altogether, it was a fun, adventurous trip.  A memorable adventure with one old lady and a young gentleman in a car, following our noses and our dreams.

My conclusions from the trip...humans, for the most part, are a very kind and enjoyable species.  On the down side, there are a few dummies out there...and they are driving!...so just keep your eyes open.

15 comments:

Lynne said...

Amazing how three "four legged's" were dodged and avoided and you were almost "jack hammered" by colors maroon!

Country Gal said...

h my glad you guys didnt get into a accident ! My mum always said to everyone drive carefully they said we do she said she knew she meant to watch for the idiots on the road ! I really dont know how some have a licence I would fire the instructers ! Poor dogs though along scared and hungry hope animal comtrol pick them up and at least give them food and shelter ! Have a safe day !

LindaG said...

There are a lot of dummies out there.

And a lot of people who shouldn't be allowed to have animals.

Glad you got there and back safely!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

....void of any wild maroon vehicles!!! Heeeheehhee!!!

Looks like the strugglin' pups, you and Andrew all had higher powers on your side!!!

Sounds like ya'll had a time makin' memories.

Was Bee~Bee great or what???

Enjoy your week sweetie!!! :o)

Tracy said...

Isn't that the truth...there ARE a few dummies; we must keep our eyes wide open! glad you arrived home safely and had an enjoyable time!

TexWisGirl said...

wow! so glad you avoided accidents!!! sure hope those stray dogs did too!

DesertHen said...

The roads seem to be full of drivers not paying attention! So scary! Glad you avoided those accidents! The stray dogs running break my heart!

Susan Anderson said...

Glad you got home safely!

=)

Judy said...

So many sad puppies alongside the road...such an awful situation...

Jenny said...

I love your creative verbs!

Irene said...

I'm glad you didn't get into an accident thanks to your alertness. Those poor dogs make my heart ache. I hope someone takes care of them. Nice that you bonded so well with Andrew. That's one of the benefits of the trip. XOX

labbie1 said...

You are really alert--I mean, didn't hit the dogs, didn't get killed...yikes! What a trip! Glad everyone was safe.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Good lord, Gail! That is just one too many close calls! It is so seldom we see loose dogs in our area but it happens. They get out.
You are right, people you don't know and can be the kindest! I think the majority of people are good. I do! :)
I've been blessed knowing the best.. :) Hugs!!!

Romance Book Haven said...

Glad there was no accident and you got home safe.

Rudee said...

Sounds like you had a guardian angel on your shoulder! I'm glad for that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...