a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Reconnecting

With only a promise of rain the ground dries quickly in the summer temperatures we have now.  I hear thunder but only see drops of rain.  I know this is normal but the unusually cool temperatures have spoiled me.
Signs of fall are already showing with the lack of rain.  The ponds no longer run over and the creek moves slowly.
Leaving my shoes behind...why doesn't that surprise you?  I followed the dogs as they stirred up the creek.  I like to be barefooted.  I may sound crazy but it seems like I can feel the Earth's pulse through the soles of my feet.

I go where I always go in my mind when I view this valley.  I rewind at least two hundred years and maybe two thousand plus.  I view the gift of the valley with ancient eyes.
The Heal All is dried.  
I like to think even in death it can heal.
I feel the energy, the life of the valley.
My feet are refreshed as my body seems more balanced.
I like to see the valley like it once was and is now.   Elderberries grow along the creek teeming with crawdads, either would be an easy meal if I wanted.  I imagine natives gathering food and hear the laughter of children in the creek of summer.  

The Ironweed grows tall and is almost ready to harvest.  The natives used this plant as a pain killer.  I admire the beauty and wish I knew the purpose of all the plants. I'm positive the Creator made them all useful.
My feet tell me I am grounded
and centered
as I dig my toes deep into the sand.
I empty my pockets and leave chips I've found from past residents.  I put on my shoes but do not lose my connection with the land.  May I leave it better than I found it.  May the land always nourish and protect us. I turn toward home and glance at the sky holding sounds of distant thunder.  I begin to pray for rain.

18 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I am loving the early signs of fall. I am seeing glimpses of them here in Kentucky. I can't wait :)

MadSnapper said...

I can feel what you felt just reading about it. I do so love to put my toes in sand and i only wear shoes when i get in the car to go somewhere... there is a preserve here that is like your valley, it has Indian mounds and when I walk down towards the river, it is like it was hundreds of years ago, swampy and beautiful.. until humans show up on the same path as me...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I hope you get your rain.
Didn't know ironweed was used as a pain killer.

Sandy Livesay said...

There are so many plants left on this earth which can be used medicinally. It would be nice to know all of the names of these plants and there true purpose.
Walking in the water and grounding our naked feet on land, in sand is right where were suppose to be.

TexWisGirl said...

we had tiny, soft rainfall on sunday - first in a long time, even though immeasurable. i am looking forward to disappearing cracks and greening up of fall.

ellen abbott said...

barefoot is the way to go. we do absorb energy from the earth. I think people who have no contact with the earth because they are surrounded by concrete and never go barefoot are just a wee bit insane.

Linda Kay said...

We had a full one inch of rain in the Texas Hill Country yesterday, so it was really welcome. Some thunder and lightning made it awesome!

Maude Lynn said...

Yes, yes, yes!

Farm Girl said...

I read a book about a woman in the early 1900s that got breast cancer and they said she was going to die. She thought that if she could crawl out and lay in her garden that the earth would heal her. It did. She lived to be almost 100.
I think there is something therapeutic and healing about the land and the earth.
Do you know that elderberries and the tree are some of the most healing plants on earth? Every thing is used to make medicine. You can use the roots, berries and the leaves.
I wish I had all of that elderberry you took pictures of.
I am in agreement with you, I think all of those plants are there to heal us and make us better.
I enjoyed your walk today. Rain will come. :)

DesertHen said...

I enjoyed that walk! I like to be barefoot too!

LindaG said...

Awesome post, Gail. I believe everything you said here is true.
Blessings. ♥

the canned quilter said...

We too are starting to see the leaves change color and drop. We have gotten more than our fair share of rain though and the underbrush and weeds are thick and lush. I know that after a killing frost and winter the dry brush will be thick and brush fires plentiful of the spring is not wet.

Michaele said...

You are indeed grounding when you stand barefoot on the earth. I wish I could but there seems to be poop everywhere around here. I even bought grounding sandals but the were too uncomfortable so my daughter uses them. Go you!

Brian Miller said...

toes in the sand is a good thing indeed....and barefoot is the best way to be...fall is def hinting at an early arrival here...i am loving the cool mornings...

Henny Penny said...

A very touching post. I love going barefoot too. I remember as a child we could not wait for the weather to warm enough that mama would let us take our shoes and socks off and go barefoot. It was the best feeling.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Love this time of year! It's been a good while since I waded in the crik...but I do have an old blue jar full of chips and broken arrowheads, and a bear claw.

Lynne said...

Very nice post . . .
I felt the earth and sand through you . . .

Susan Anderson said...

Sometimes, I confess, I envy your connection to the land. You are blessed.

=)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...