a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Saturday, October 25, 2014

We Walked...

through history.  We crawled in dirt.  We laughed, explored and came home again.
This trip was just me and my nephew, Toni.  No one has a bad time with Toni.  From Iraq to Alaska and an experienced traveler to most states Toni makes traveling an adventure. We always try something new, in meals and in places we see because life should be an adventure.
This is a replica of the old shaft shack.  It went down sixty feet deep here.  I don't believe the mining operations was extremely successful or they would still be operating.  I would say by the number of people there they have no trouble maintaining this as a state park.
Toni in the distance
They had a few "shade islands" no digging allowed here.  This island featured a Osage Orange tree.
We both got down and dirty.  I packed hand tools and empty jars to hold all our diamonds.  They left full but not with diamonds.  We had MREs, Vienna Sausage and Oreo cookies with drinks packed so we were prepared and made a day of it.
We examined the old mining equipment.

Nine diamonds were found while we were there.  It was not our day for diamonds.  When the rains come, we may return.  It's just four and a half hours away.  Toni is young and as long as he's driving I will welcome the adventure.

11 comments:

Sandy Livesay said...

Packing MRE's, sausages, drinks, and cookies allows you to continue looking for diamonds and beautiful rocks to bring home.

Jo said...

Ah what an adventure. And what a lovely companian.

MadSnapper said...

sorry you found no diamonds, but you did have a fantastic time with Tony... i need a young driver to.. my favorite photo is the plowed field and that shed with the extension on it. never seen one like that.. welcome home

LilliStJohn said...

Sounds like a great day, one I would be happy to go on. We explore and explore and there is no end to it. We pack lunches too and pee in the woods. ha,ha lol

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just spending the day exploring with your nephew made the trip worth it.

Anonymous said...

I would love to do this. I always wanted to take a metal detector out to look for coins, artifacts, or whatever I could find! I still plan to do it!

TexWisGirl said...

i love your nephew. :) just like my brother, francis. :)

LindaG said...

Glad you had a great time and found so many wonderful rocks!
I'd say go any time he is driving. You never know when you'll get lucky for a diamond.

Or more wonderful rocks!
Have a blessed Sunday, Gail. ♥

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

sounds like a super adventure. sorry that you didn't find diamonds but looks like the find was a gem of the heart anyway. xoxo

21 Wits said...

What fun, I'd go too, after all the anticipation of possibly discovering even one diamond so worth the amazing adventure.

Lynne said...

What fun . . . I am happy that you had such a HAPPY GOOD TIME!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...