a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Sunday, March 8, 2009

One Thing I Know

The fact is no matter what you have to do, no matter how difficult or overwhelming it is, you can and will get it done.

In our case, you must take one stick, one limb at a time. You cannot look at the full picture or you would crawl in hole and never come out.


Limbs are in the creeks every where.
But there is still beauty in the chaos.

I toured some creek branches while working on fence yesterday(Hubby was working, I was taking pictures). The devastation from the ice storm and then the flood was quite depressing.


The beauty still showed through as I found places that had not been affected by the destruction. These are the places I must look and know the others will look like that when it is time.

The life of a farmer seems mysterious and magical. Chewing a hay straw, playing with animals, rocking on the front porch...right! The stock is chewing the quickly thinning hay, the animals demand care and surveillance and the front porch is rarely seen. You also have to love and respect the land, that part I can handle.
We must remember there are flowers
And the sun shines every day even when we cannot see it.

12 comments:

Rottlady of the Ozarks said...

I envy your life on the farm, oh I know it's hard work but look at all the rewards. Sitting on the porch watching the world go by is the best times I've ever had. I miss it for sure.
Great post! I hope you have a great day today!

Tiffany said...

I will never forget the last part of this post "the sun shines every day even when we cannot see it" Thank you for that reminder...
You're right, taking one twig at a time is the only way to manage things when life is overwhelming!
xoxo Tiff

Rudee said...

I'm quite certain it is not easy, and your work is never done, but even with the downed limbs and branches, it appears that property is worth all of the toil to keep it up. My sister has a lot of acreage on a mountain and it's a daily battle to fight the encroachment of the forest. If she wasn't out there all of the time, it would take over her house. She loves it. Apparently, so do you.

mrscravitz said...

We have never worked so hard, nor been so busy, since we purchased our two little acres. But it is work that makes one feel good! Cleanses the soul. I love every minute of every single day out here!

Unknown said...

Wonderfully positive post, Gail! There are always two ways of looking at everything!

Tina said...

An interesting series of pics showing the visable choas of winter and its storms..but its the renaissance of what lies beneath that will add to brighten our days. I love your message in this post...nice job Gail!

Loved the story about the cows and your dogs..such team work!!

Gigi Ann said...

I love the picture of the daffodils, maybe, spring is almost here. They give me hope.

Christy said...

Such wisdom. One twig at a time. I keep telling Logan one day at a time as we adjust to having goats that need lots of care.

Jeannelle said...

Quite the scenes, Gail. Incredible what that ice storm did. The daffodils are such a treat to see...thanks for including that photo.

DesertHen said...

One step at a time and all well get done in time. You are so right about the sun shinning even when we can't see it...we must always remember that!

sandrysson said...

Sometimes the spring clean-up reminds me I live on this planet. All that work keeps me attached to the earth.
I miss "the country," but I make do as long as something's growing out there.
Love your photos!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

That photo with the flowers and rock is just so beautiful...sort of a metaphor for life, don't you think?

HUGS,
Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...