a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Friday, June 4, 2010

Celebration

I searched for a picture of Hubby and me but no luck.  Either one or the other is on the end of the camera so no couples' shots.  Just as well, neither of us are the slim, happy-go-lucky people we were thirty-eight years ago June the third. It would not have been a pretty sight.  I chose this one to represent us.  Hubby with his nose to the grind stone working away and me, just looking around.

I have been asked through the years, what is the success of a long happy marriage.  I can't answer that.  Maybe it is because we never get mad at the same time, maybe it is because we were too stubborn to quit or maybe it just's simply because we love each other and cannot imagine life, however trying it may be at times, 
without the other one by our side.

Granny Pruett always told me the secret of a good marriage was not going to sleep mad, always make it right cause you don't know who might not wake up.  She was a wise woman and I regret she never met my mate for life.  She also said you could tell a man's worth by the kind of fire he could build.  Hubby can build some good ones, so I know she would have approved.

We do not celebrate big but always try to do something we both enjoy.  This year that was to EAT.  We ate Chinese. 

Through the years, I will not remember the celebrations but instead I remember the times he felt my brow for fever, when he brought me wild flowers or a rock or just when he walked by and reached out to touch me.  I remember when he gave me the puppy of my dreams and when he helped me walk safely on ice.  I remember when he cooks.  When he quietly sits while I rant and just listens, knowing that is what I need.

These are just a  few of the things I will remember and always love about our many years of marriage. May we have a hundred more.

13 comments:

becky said...

Happy Anniversary Gail! 38 years... wow! (and i have yet to meet the right one!) Congratulations! I enjoyed reading your memories...

Pyatshaw said...

Sounds like a good relationship to me. Funnily enough my husband has made some great fires in his time. (Now we don't have an open fire nor are we allowed even to burn rubbish outside.)I usually go by the way they treat animals, nor must they wear kid gloves nor belted raincoats and certainly NO Cuban(is that how it is spelt?) heels!

An English Shepherd said...

Yes a very Happy Anniversary Gail :-)

Wizz

Rudee said...

Happy Anniversary, Gail. Your post here just described true love! It sounds like you have all the secrets down to a science!

Rural Rambler said...

Happy Anniversary Gail to you both! I love what you have to say about being married and marriage in this post. Very nice and it makes me smile and think this morning.

Mel said...

Happy Anniversary to you and yours!

It is awesome to hear about a marriage lasting more than a few years these day. Sounds like you and hubby make a great team. Loved your chapter on what makes a marriage work.

Marriage~ "love, respect, and team work... And yes, by all means, never go to bed angry at one another.

Many blessings,
Mel

Pat said...

Happy Anniversary, you two lovebirds! That was beautiful, Gail!

Christy said...

Happy anniversary! It sounds like you got a good one.

Irene said...

I will tell you something. If I had stayed in my first marriage, I would have been married 38 years on June the 3rd. Isn't that a coincidence? We were married June 3, 1972 in St John the Baptist Catholic Church in Costa Mesa, California. I don't remember the exact time, but it was early in the afternoon.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Gail, Happy Anniversary! Thirty eight years that is an accomplishment! I so enjoyed your blog today..it speaks of a long give and take relationship with out ME, ME, ME or I, I, I. I wish you many more happy years together!
We do 41 this December..what can I say..he must really love me:)

Grey Horse Matters said...

Congratulations on 38 years of living a great life together. May you have many more to come. I like your take on things, not the celebrations but the everyday moments to remember.

Anonymous said...

Arghhh bootiful!! Happy Anniversary to you both and yes, may you have many, many more... My wee Granny always says the same 'never go to sleep on an argument'. Grannies are soooo cool :0)

Unknown said...

This is just lovely, Gail. You brought a lump to my throat. The way you describe your marriage reminds me of mine. May you have many more happy years together. Sarah x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...