a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Journaling Women Has Asked...

 I knew SHE would ask a  hard one.  It's that journalistic blood running through her veins.
Question:  If you could choose your job, including any dream, talent or skill, what would it be?

Well, JW, you asked for it!

I always loved to write but other than a few poems and short stories, I have never been published.  I have not actively pursued that career so I will call it a hobby.  I saw a friend from high school that asked me what I was doing and after the answer he said, I imagined you would be drowning in manuscripts by now.

So, all of that to say, I would love to be in a position to try my talent/skill? at writing for the love of writing and for the enjoyment I may give others.  Hey, wait, maybe I am doing that already!  How about changing that to writing well enough to bring in some money...it does help make my world go round.

This was a serious question and I am taking it lightly, sorry.  If I could choose any job, talent or skill it would be to practice veterinary medicine.  I love animals, always have, always will.  (I try to hide that on my blog, but I think you guys are onto my secret). I do not want to sound as if I am boasting but I seem to have a connection with four legged animals.  Can't explain, always been that way.  The first time I went missing, as a baby, I had followed a pack of dogs away from the house.  Mom found me, safe and sound and happy as a pig in a mud puddle.

I  love to paint and love that feeling I get when I am "in the zone".  I lose time and myself.  I did not paint until much later in life.  I choose a talent that allowed me to play with painting and would at least make enough money to buy more canvas.

Summation:  DVM,  Occupant of Best Sellers' List, Artist

Another question: Would this choice of job be the same as when you were in high school?

This is almost the same as high school and I just realized that I am living part of my dream.  I wanted to go to vet school but after Mom and Dad had sent two girls through college, I did not want to put them through that again.  Vet schools were rarely accepting women and the chance that I would be accepted at all ran very low so I chose a computer school, the up and coming career in the early seventies.

After messing with this darn computer program,
 I am glad I did not go into computers,
Or maybe I should have,
I was too young when I graduated.
If I had gone, maybe the blooming alignment
would not be so hard to set correctly.
I could have written a better program.

The man told Mom I scored the highest of any tester
even when I had taken the test
while talking,
chewing gum,
and swinging my legs at the table.
She did not tell me that til years later.
I wonder why.

I have enjoyed this question
If any one else has any,
I will be delighted to answer.
Maybe before the next question,
I can figure this darn alignment thing out!!!

6 comments:

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Well thanks for answering, Gail. You are a very interesting person. The only one I didn't guess was wanting to be a best selling author- me too. From the vibes I get from your blog, I could have guessed that you should have gone into vet medicine for money since you do it for free around the farm. And I had the feeling you have a special connection with animals. Oh, and I know you are a very good artist- I seen your work. So let me enourage you to continue these loves in whatever ways you can do them. Writing, art and the love of animals - you really cannot get better than that.

Thanks for sharing.

Teresa

Rudee said...

Yep. You should have been a vet. And you are a writer.

Pyatshaw said...

I always wanted to be a vet but way back then it was not for women and my father was dead against it--so were the local vets--and what do they now have---2 or 3 female vets! My father thought I should work in the house as his sisters did. I didn't though! But it was a man's world then, when I was young.
You do write well--I love your blog.

Pat said...

I can easily see you as a vet.

And aren't we ALL writers - as bloggers? :)

SWiggins said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. I didn't realize that women were discouraged from vet school, not so anymore though. Maybe you should still go for it.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

I am sure you would have been a wonderful vet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...