a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Monday, January 17, 2011

Thank You, Jules...

Jules at Trying To Get Over The Rainbow  has been so kind to bless me with this award.  Thank you, Jules, you are a pleasure to visit.  Go, say hi and tell her, Gail sent you.

There are rules, of course, attached to this one.  I will follow some (the way I do with most rules, pick the ones I want to follow)...I must share seven things about myself, probably things you don't already know.  This will be hard to do because I regularly spill my guts on this blog.

#1  I don't really care for cats.  I can hear the sharp intake of breath from all the cat lovers out there.  We have cats, I care for the cats, but I don't CARE for cats.  I don't see a kitty and say, oh, how sweet, wait, I do that, but unlike puppies, I can resist a cat.  My dislike for cats can be seen on both my blogs. :)

#2  I love dogs, any kind, any form, any age from the thick-coated to the hairless...wait, I am supposed to tell you something you don't know about me! So #2 doesn't count!

#2A  I used to hunt.  As a child, I was allowed to take the squirrel dogs out after school and bring squirrels home for food.  One day, I spied the tip of a tail, shot, it dropped...a ground squirrel!  The dogs started treeing ground squirrels and Daddy knew.  I was told I was the one who messed up the dogs, so I had to fix them.  Every day for a while, (seemed like a long time but I was a child, so who knows) I took the dogs to tree, had to locate what they had treed and verify it was the correct kind of squirrel before I shot.  If it was a ground squirrel, I would tell them no and we would move on.  If it was a fox or a gray, I would brag on them and drop it.  That was a big lesson I learned very young, KNOW WHAT you are shooting.
I did hunt deer and also critters that were a danger to domestic animals or humans.
I  no longer hunt because shooting hurts my shoulder (an old injury).

#3  I am from Arkansas and regardless of what you may have heard, I am not ignorant nor inbred although I do love to go barefoot and there ain't nothing like a good ole pair of overalls.

#4  I am insecure.  I have no confidence in my writing, in my painting, in any of my abilities and find it very hard to accept praise.

#5  I am a rock hound, a spelunker, an explorer and a history lover.

#6  I can't swim worth a hoot.  Granny always said, Don't get in the water til you know how to swim!  Seriously, we could not swim in the stock pond because it would muddy the water for the stock.  Maybe twice a year, we would get to go somewhere and play in the water.  I think I may have learned enough to save myself after our chldren were learning to swim, not in YMCA's but in creeks, rivers and lakes.  I would advise you, don't  try to drown if you are depending on me to save you.  I am kinda like Larry The Cable Guy...he used to be a lifeguard but some blue kid made him lose his job.

#7 The last chance to state some big mystery about myself you don't already know...thinking...thinking.  What was the question?  I have gone back and checked my counting, I'm from Arkansas so...with the exception of #2A, I have counted correctly.  Ahhhh, I have it...I am terrified of Scorpions!!!  You could chase me across three states with a scorpion.  I would run barefooted through sand burrs to escape the promised attack of a scorpion.  I would eat glass before I would touch a scorpion!  Here's the irony in all this, I am a Scorpio.

Okay, Jules, thanks for the fun and the award...and making me think really hard today.

15 comments:

Golden Eagle said...

Congratulations on your award!

I'm not a particular fan of cats, either. :P

(P.S.: I love the new header!)

LindaG said...

You and I have #4 and #6 in common.

And the last one, too, though I am afraid of anything that can sneak up on me. :|
Haha. As in, most bugs and creepy crawlies. ;-) It's really sad. :^o

Hope you're enjoying your day! :-)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting! I would take a bucket of scorpions in place of one dead or alive snake. Cats are OK..we have had our share, both of our daughters have cats..I much prefer the company of a dog:)

E said...

You should use confidence as you word to live by this year. Because we all believe in you. Your art is better than mine. But I use mine to heal. mine is far from perfect but what counts is I try. And that make me happy. You are awesome Gail!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Congrats on the award! Interesting post, too. Have a great day, Cheryl

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

#3 all except the Arkansas part, mine is a Tenn. influence and #4 are the ones we have in common. And your writing is extraordinarily entertaining and always a good read. I love your stories, your "stories" and your wit and wisdom. Be not afraid, I'll spot ya.
And the blue kid quote....omg the tea spewed everywhere......XOXO The Olde Bagg, Linda

Lou Belcher said...

Congratulations on the award. And... wonderful to learn more about you.

DesertHen said...

Cool award!

Loved learning more about you.

We grow some pretty big scorpions out here in the high desert of NV! They creep me out too!!!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Congratulations dear friend on your well deserved award! Enjoy the spotlight sweetie!!!

God bless ya!!! :o)

Achieve1dream said...

Great answers!! I don't always follow the rules of tags and awards either. :D

Ditto on #1, #2, sort of on #2A I used to hunt with my dad but never really shot anything - I do love to shoot at the range though I prefer pistols, #3, #4, #6 and on number seven it would be spiders for me instead of scorpions. Wow! We have more in common than I would have thought. :)

I love hearing about your hunting adventures with the squirrel dogs. :)

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Congrats on the award AND your new header which rocks. Now let's get serious.

1. What? I'm not sure we can be friends.

2. I use to eat squirrels, rabbits, and deer.

3. But you don't like cats?

4. I think it's because you don't like....

5. There are some big big cats that live in and around caves. I'm just saying.

6. I bet if you were drowning and a cat tried to save you, you would hug a cat--then?

7.I already knew you dislike scorpions but not that you are a Scorpio.

Hmm I guess we can be friends. hee hee.

Anonymous said...

I don't care for cats either my hubby has one he has had for 18 years I call it the half dead cat because she is so skinny and old. I've had people come over and say she is scary looking. Very interesting post! Learned a lot about ya! Congrats on the award! Traci

Melissa said...

Congrats on the award. I like dogs but I'm much more of a cat person.

Rising Rainbow said...

I love cats but am just ok with dogs so we are opposites there.

After most of my life being insecure, I am actually pretty confident although I can get knocked into insecurity pretty easily. I usually can get myself back out of it easily too but first I have to be aware I've been knocked down. You'd think that would be easy, but not so much.


I don't know much about scoprions so I don't know how I feel about them, but snakes and I'm otta herre.

Susan Anderson said...

What a fun and interesting list.

Congrats on your blog award. I know you don't take compliments well, but guess what! You deserve it.

=)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...