a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Sunday, January 23, 2011

We Have No Snow...

compared to many who have feet of snow!  I am snow ignorant.  Remember this hill that I was so proud to drive down???  Well, driving up is a whole new animal.

My hubby said, do you need a ride to work?  Now if this man does not know, after thirty-nine years of marriage that I CAN NOT drive on snow, I give up.  Being just a tad put out that he would even ask, knowing my fear and my incompetence...I stubbornly proceeded to try to drive up this hill to go to work.

Four times up this hill, sideways, sliding, and coming to a complete stop at the same spot every time is not my idea of a fun day in the snow.   Backing back down, going at it again, having been directed to "git a run at it".  Front wheel drive is supposed to go just fine, well, not when I am behind the wheel.  Lug it down, hubby had said, WELL, you can't lug it down much further than a complete standstill, now, can you??  With a standard transmission and front wheel drive, I should be able to fly out of this valley.
NOT!  After my fourth back down and the beginning of my fifth try, the car and it's wildly mad driver, slid into a ditch on the only flat spot on this road!!! 
AS you can see by the tire marks, this was not bad backing, this was a slide!  I give up!  I slammed the door, climbed through the deep brush covered in snow and was fuming when I got out on flat ground.  It would have been fitting punishment for my thoughts, if I had fell flat on my back.

Hubby is calmly sweeping the snow off his truck, warming it to take me to work.

The only thing I shouted was, "YOU DON'T KNOW ME AT ALL!"  Then I shut up...for the entire way to work.  If he knew me, he would have known, never to ask me IF I needed a ride but rather would have prepared to take me.  The mere asking of the question set the stubbornness off in me...I was getting out the valley, even if it killed me.

Saturday morning after delivering me to work, he drove my car out of the ditch without giving me any great details as to the ease of his accomplishment,  That, my friends, is a good thing...he still lives.

24 comments:

Nancy said...

You brought back some bad memories for me with this post, Gail. I used to "try" to drive to work every day, no matter the weather... just to prove a point.

I had to be towed out once by my darling husband -- I had slid into a ditch as well. And I have four-wheel drive.

I'm glad you are okay and that your hero saved the day! :)

Jules said...

All I can say is... you just need more practice :) I use to own a beer can truck (made from recycled aluminum) that slide on spit. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

becky said...

You are funny. I would imagine his asking is his way of knowing that yes, you do need a lift. So he took you to work, and got your car out. I would venture to guess, that yes, he does know you! I think you are lucky. I had the same problem a few weeks ago. All alone, with my car packed with all my belongings, I tried to get up a hill in the snow (yes, four times) to my "temporary home." Finally, I put on chains... and finally, up I went.
You are lucky to have such a sweet hubby!

Barbara said...

Funny we all have that same disposition with our men, we assume they know our every need, NOT.. We been married 50 years and still he asked me the same dumb questions like he has not ever met me..UGH. Glad you are safe, and did get to work, we all need work on our patience for sure. Hugs and hope your day is good, Barbara

LindaG said...

He knows which buttons to push after 39 years. ;-)
We'll have 37 this summer. :-)

Enjoy your Sunday, Gail. ♥

Pyatshaw said...

We DO get snow but not always as much as we got this year but we still get cars in ditches!

Rudee said...

My dear, you could probably drive without a problem if you had a 4WD vehicle. I'm sure by the time he got to getting it out of the ditch, there was enough melt to give him traction.

ellen abbott said...

Yeah, you'd thin that after 30 some odd years, your spouse would know something about you. Mine know less about me than he did the day we met, I swear. apparently he told the grandkids that I am always losing my sunglasses and that I don't like my new pair as much as my old. What?! I did recently misplace my sunglasses but I had had them for years. And I like my new pair just fine. Where does he get this stuff?

Yaya' s Home said...

Well, YOU may not have enjoyed that ride, but I enjoyed your telling of it, very much. I'm still chuckling over how easy it was for your hubby to create some free entertainment. My hubby din't even hafta' bait me; I managed to fall UUUPPPP the stairs just fine... all by myself. Thankfully, he was there to help me maneuver myself the rest of the way up, or I'd pro'lly still be sitting there, wishing he was back indoors.

Thanks for the giggle. I'm glad he was able to help you out.

~ Yaya

Country Gal said...

Dont know what to say about all of it except their hearts are in the right place they just dont know how to go about it ! Glad your safe, have a good day !

Empty Nester said...

Sounds just like something I would have shouted out to Hubs---had I let him survive from asking me in the first place. I know it was frustrating, but the retelling gave me a welcomed chuckle!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Most of the Ponderosa is nestled in the bottom-land and it is a straight up climb outta this place. My other cars had rear wheel drive and I'd just toss in some firewood in the trunk for traction and go. I'm findin' front wheel drivin' on the slick stuff a little more challenging although I'm told it's easier. Go figure...

God bless ya and have a 'safe' drive to work in the mornin'!!!

DesertHen said...

Sometimes they just don't think before they speak!!

Glad you finally got to work safely!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Front wheel drive should get you out..maybe you need new tires. We have four wheel drive vehicles..if I didn't drive in snow and ice..I would stay home all winter October to April. I am glad you weren't far from home:)

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Too funny. I'd be scared too. Seems I get more scared about these things, driving on snow, etc., the older I get.

Irene said...

I can imagine you were scared once you were stuck in the ditch.

carolina nana said...

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha I'm laughing so hard!!!
Gail we could be sister's with our stubborn streaks but what's even more freaky our hubbie's could be brother's with their stupid streaks. HAhahahahahhah !!!
Hope tomorrow is a blessed ditch free day !!!!

Susan Adcox said...

Reading about everyone's experiences driving on snow and ice and seeing pictures of thermometers showing below zero--these make me feel better about living where I do, where we sometimes go all winter without a freeze. Of course, the summers are hellacious!

Susan Anderson said...

Your personality reminds me so much of my sister's. I think that's one of the things that attracts me to your blog.

=)

Rising Rainbow said...

Now, me, I'd be made if my husband din't ask me although I don't like to drive in the snow. I equally hate him assuming what I need because MOST of the time his assumptions are wrong. LOL

Glad you got to work all right and that your car is out of the ditch.

C-ingspots said...

Men...hmmph!! Will they never learn?

Deb Shucka said...

How did my husband end up in your house?

I love your spunk!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! Great pics and descriptions. :D

My hubby knows better now, after he had to come tow me out of a ditch after trying to drive down a muddy, greasy dirt road near our house.
He just knows that if it's slippery, muddy, icy and snowy, that I am NOT driving.

lol!

~Lisa

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I don't even know you all that well, Gail, but I know you well enough already to know not to laugh when you're really pissed off..so I won't...

(mmmffff) *walks away straight faced*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...