a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Hoarfrost or Rabbit Frost...


I need a vote here. I am not talking dirty, just arguing with my hubby over something unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Den so loves it when he pushes my buttons!
My sister, Marcy, took some beautiful pictures of what we had always known as and called hoarfrost.
Certain times during cold weather, the conditions are just right for frost to form on objects. These can take many creative and wonderful forms, after all, the best artist is nature.
I was showing Den these pictures and he begins to argue that it is rabbit frost. He said the old timers called it rabbit frost because it told when it was safe to eat wild rabbits. I told him my parents and grandparents and every one I knew in the "old timer" category called it hoarfrost.
I proceed to google it and what did I find?? All kinds of wonderful pictures of HOARFROST but not a trace of rabbit frost anywhere.




I don't know about your guys but mine does not like to admit he is wrong. Google was not enough proof for him. So please raise your voices and let the women be heard. If I am wrong, I will admit it.


What do you call it? Help me out here...PLEASE, I need to win one!

7 comments:

Sharon said...

I wish I could help Gail, but I've never heard of either one. Sorry. I do hope you had a Wonderful Thanksgiving!
Love
Sharon

Unknown said...

Rabbit Frost is a colloqial term. You can only use it if you are from the area it is particular to. Everyone else has to use the more common name.

You are both right. He can call it rabbit frost if he wants, but you cannot. You must call it hoarfrost.

I have never seen it before. It doesn't happen this close to the San Fransisco Bay. That's a good thing.

Christy said...

Put me in the never heard of either one category too. But if google says you are right, then you are!

Adventure girl said...

Hi Gail,
Thanks for dropping by my place.
I don't know where I have been but I have NEVER seen or heard of this. You I learn so my from my bloggy friends! Have a great day off;)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I've heard of hoar frost, but never seen it before. How cool is that! That one photo of the hoar frost looks like a ghostly ET! hehe

If he wants to call it rabbit frost, just let him. You know you're right...and that's all that matters, lol!!!

~Lisa
New mexico

Carla said...

I've never heard of rabbit frost. But, until just recently, I had never heard of hoarfrost either. (probably did, just didn't pay attention) I've never seen such BIG pieces, I've always seen what looks like hair sticking up on stuff. Either way, its pretty cool. (so, are you going to have some wild rabbit? I hear its now time to eat them:)

DesertHen said...

We call in hoarfrost around here. In fact, we just had some yesterday morning and I was out taking photos in it. I have also heard it called pogonip frost as well, but never rabbit frost.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...