a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Friday, November 21, 2008

Secrets

Some babies did not make it, I discovered 48 years after my birth.

My parents married at the end of the second War To End All Wars. My father was there from the beginning to end and was hungry for family life. My mother was in love with the uniform.

At eighteen, Mom was dreaming of a family. At twenty-eight, Dad was eager to comply.

The family came...three girls in eight years. I always wondered about our age difference but never asked.

We are grown now. Mom is gone and we have since lost Dad to Alzheimer's.

Alzheimer's is not pretty but it has a way of breaking secret oaths.

There were others. My sisters and I had siblings that we knew nothing about.

As Dad cried reliving the past, my sisters and I understood. We named the grief we had glimpsed in our parents' eyes.

Our siblings, bundled in hand made quilts, were each laid quietly to rest where we never plowed. They were never named and never mentioned.

It was the way of the times.

Today I bring flowers and say "Hello, I am your little sister."

8 comments:

Grammy said...

I am so sorry , Big hug.

Melanie said...

Oh my gosh, Gail...I think that you write so well! I am sorry for your family's loss and the pain of unspoken secrets.

How sweet of you to talk to their little souls. :)

Unknown said...

That is such a poignant and touching post, Gail. I'm so glad you go and say hello to the sisters you never knew but who are always with you in spirit.

Unknown said...

Gosh, Gail. You made me cry with this post. How sad that your parents and others of their time had to keep such painful secrets. My heart goes out to you and your family, and, like the other commenters, I think it is lovely that you go and talk to your siblings. Take care. Sarah

Tiffany said...

This must have been so hard for your parents. I can't even imagine.

Carla said...

This is precious! You have such a way of writing, that life really comes across. Blessings to you, your family on both sides of heaven.

Sketching with Dogs said...

That is so sad, how dreadful for your parents to lose their children.
It is lovely to take flowers for them, they must be looking down on their little sister and smiling.
Lynne

Suzanne McClendon said...

I am so sorry for the losses your parents endured, and that you and your siblings endured unknowingly. I think that it is very sweet that you take flowers to them.

Have you heard of Findagrave.com? You can make memorials to your siblings there. It is a wonderful way to acknowledge them, even if they were not named.

I am also very sorry to hear of your daddy's Alzheimer's. My grandma had that, too. It is heartbreaking when this comes into one's life. As many tears as it brought for me, it also brought one of my biggest treasures. I learned how very much my grandma loved and trusted me. I will pray for you and your family and most especially for your daddy.

Have a blessed day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...