a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Friday, September 28, 2012

Cleaning The Junk Drawer...

Admit it.  We all have one.  You know the drawer where every thing goes that we don't want to put away or don't know what is.  Yep, that drawer!  In most of my homes, it has always been in the kitchen.  Here I have more than one.  There's one in the mill chest, one in the kitchen and one in my sitting area.

I've been working on one in the kitchen today.  Inherited from my parents added to by all of us, it was quite the drawer.  I wish I had thought to take pictures before I began but don't worry I have other drawers waiting for the camera.
The Drawer after two thirds is gone!

I neatly gathered all my empty plastic containers, labeled them, nails, screws, bolts, washers, brackets and water things...things that have to do with plumbing or repairing anything that carries water.  I always have one labeled Things I Do Not Know. These containers will be combined with or join the ones already carefully labeled in my tool-construction-things you always need-closet. 

It's not completed yet, too many interruptions, like laundry, dishes, feeding the guys, but I'm closer than I was.  I now have enough keys to be a janitor.  Who knows what they fit but I can snap them on my belt and feel important anytime I need an extra picker-upper.
The drawer next in line.

15 comments:

Mimi Foxmorton said...

You never know what treasures you might find! :)

Mimi
The Goat Borrower

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I've got two in the kitchen and every time I open one I think about cleaning it out. Then I regain my senses and slam the drawer shut. I have no where to move the stuff to!

the canned quilter said...

I have two of those treasure drawers myself. I refuse to clean them out because then my husband works twice as hard to fill them back up : )

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I have to admit to many and you are very brave to show yours:) B

Country Gal said...

I have two junk drawers as well ! Every one needs at least one junk drawer ! Hope you find treasurers in there and do the oh yeah that's where that's been thing I had been looking for that ! lol ! Have a good day !

MadSnapper said...

i have three drawers like this, one is like your first one, that type stuff, last year i used plastic containers and plastic shoe boxes. one box is labeled Batteries..it contains all the batteries for all the things that use 6 different types. last week, bob opened the drawer and said Where are the batteries? they were lose before in their own containers. i said try looking in the box labeled batteries?

Lynne said...

Yup . . . we all have one, I am sure. Yours might take the prize of "filled up!"

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Must be something in the air....
Only wish it was a drawer, in our case it has been the entire house. The thrift stores where I shop have gotten some (a lot) of their items back. Is that recycling the recycle? Or is it I give up and can't walk through the garage and don't want neighbors to think we're next on Hoarders TV program. Whatever it is, feels alot better today than last week.

Dreaming said...

Yeah.... since we moved twice in the last few years, my junk drawers are less than impressive - but they'll grow!
I laughed about the keys. We had a pile of keys when we cleaned out the junk drawer in the old house before moving. It felt very strange to throw them away!

Sandy Livesay said...

Congratulations your able to tackle your junk drawer, mine are still sitting full of junk. Right now hubby is trying to work on computer to rebuild it, it decided to die. (old hardrive) We may need to invest in another. I borrowed our sons laptop.

LindaG said...

Not only did I have a junk drawer in NC, it is in a box somewhere in the farm house. ;o)

I have one of those square brown things, like in the middle of your first picture.
If I could just remember where it is. ;o)

Have a great weekend, Gail!

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

You make me want to dig in and clean. I love to organize things. I just wish they'd stay that way. Any tips on that?

carolina nana said...

Hope you didn't throw anything away. Anytime I clean out those type drawers and throw anything away it always just happens that there becomes an immediate need for that very thing the next day,haha !!!
Blessings and have a wonderful weekend
Marilyn

Pat said...

It's always a feeling of accomplishment when you clean out something isn't it? And how do so many keys turn up for things you have no idea they are for? Too funny!

LilliStJohn said...

ha,ha, we grew up with one in the kitchen. It was like Dad's extra toolbox and the kids crayons, and a lost clothespin or two and approx 37 olde keys which nobody knew what they belonged to. Mom took the keys and went around the house trying em out and they didn't fit anything in or out of house, so she was going to throw them out. My Father rescued them and put them all on a brass ring, and hung them in the garage.......and when the house was sold a few years back, my brother took the ring of keys and hung it in his own garage??? We have a junk drawyer here in the kitchen and every once in a while I have to clean it out, but that drawyer stays the JUNK drawyer:) Great post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...