a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

One Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-Nine....

is the number of today's post.  It is also the year my first nephew was born.  Since Toni was the first grandchild there was much excitement...which was good for me, too.

The evening before we had our annual FHA/FFA field trip.  I was a mere fifteen years old.  It was always exciting to participate in these bus trips with all your friends   I was especially proud of this trip because I was wearing a new short jump suit with a Nehru Collar and a zipper up the entire front. (We won't talk about how much I detested setting zippers, that's another story).
This is sorta what it looked like only much shorter, much tighter with a Nehru collar and cap sleeves.  Man, I worked hard to get that sewn in time for our trip and I was feeling beautiful.

To make a long story short.  The guy I had my eye on liked it too.  Come on, people, remember those bus trips, kissing in every seat and the teachers did not see or pretended they did not see....I got my first hickey!!!  I did not know what it was.  I just knew it was a visible mark that would give my  father a legal right to kill me. The zipper stayed in place...both of ours.

I made it safely home, safely through breakfast because I wore a turtle neck sweater to the breakfast table.  Thank goodness and good luck, Bev went into labor while I was at school.  I stayed with an old family friend who made homemade fudge and mentioned nothing of my "mark".

Someone told me the toothpaste trick and it had disappeared by the time the family looked at me again.  Christopher Kyle Antonio Day was born saving my ass and he keeps on being a special nephew.
Toni is home again after a two year work assignment in Alaska.  World traveled and wise, a father now with a beautiful smart daughter Stormi who is juggling college, two jobs and life at twenty-one.
Thank you Toni for being you.  Thank you blogger friends for being with me through 1969 posts.

21 comments:

MadSnapper said...

i thought wow, that is a LOT of post, so i popped over to see how many mine has and it is 1443, the year i was born... ha ha ho ho he he..my fourpaws blog is at 318. i love the photo of your nephew and his daughter. I went all through high school with no dates, no bus rides except the one that took us to school, so no kissing for me on a bus. my 9th through 12 grade was the most miserable time of my life, i have not one single happy moment.

Lynne said...

Guess I need to count my posts . . . I like numbers . . . liked that both zippers stayed in place . . . somehow somewhere I am sure there would be someone who thought that would be a good idea . . . remembering bus rides, sneaking a kiss, first hickie . . . what fun this was to read . . . wonder why it was such a thrill to get a hickie and exciting to hide it too . . . don't know about the toothpaste trick . . . better tell me . . .

Happy Birthday to Toni . . .

LilliStJohn said...

Been there, experienced it - same zippers stayed in place as well - the hickey - that's why my sister always wore turtle necks and to think, I thought she was cold. ha,ha
Nice looking man, your sweet nephew and lovely photo of him and Stormi - now, that girl is going to go places. Congrats on 1969 posts - I guess I have a lot more reading to catch up on. I do enjoy reading your past posts and pick quite randomly every now and then, as you have probably noticed. Cheers

Deb said...

Love that jumper... Happy birthday to your nephew... Lucky for you he picked the right time to be born

Michaele said...

What a memory! I just had to laugh. I know nothing about a toothpick trick but am dying to find out.

Michaele said...

now I am officially embarrassed. toothPASTE! I get it now.

Country Gal said...

Congrats Gail ! Lovely post and photos ! Same year Papa was born , I was born three years earlier lol ! I bet it is good to have Toni home after all that time ! Have a good day !

Sandy Livesay said...

1969 Posts!!!! Wooohoooo!!!
That's also a great year :-)

Bus rides, what happens on a bus, stays on a bus! I won't go there, lol.....

I love the pictures you posted of Toni and his daughter. Obviously, Toni is a God send, Blessed Child.

Manzanita said...

WOW, You must have been one hot chick in "them, there" shorts. But I guess the moral of the story is, that is how you end up with a hickey.
Very enjoyable post.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Oh gosh- I remember that jumpsuit- I had a yellow one but I think mine had buttons.

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

You are such a talented storyteller. I loved this tale of firsts in 1969. Always a pleasure to hear another "well aged woman" talk real about being young.
And I too remember the dress style and had something similar, also sewn by myself.
Great story, Oma Linda

Jane said...

Thanks for your post. It gave me a good chuckle. I never went on a bus anywhere, and I won't mention hickeys. Recently I tried on a shirt with a Nehru collar, somehow when you start to get jowls, it loses some of its hotness.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Congrats..that is an accomplishment! Great post today..toothpaste who knew:)

Farm Girl said...

How very nice. Congrats on 1969 posts!
Well I know of all of the things you spoke and never heard of the toothpaste trick. :) Have a great day.

DesertHen said...

Congrats on 1969 posts! I was born in 1969 as well! Happy Birthday to Toni! Loved your story! Brought back a few memories...he, he. I was in FHA/FFA...I got a D in sewing, it just wasn't my thing and still isn't. I liked my FFA classes much better and ended up marrying a farmer.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Hey girlfriend, I thought I was one of those gals who knew all the tips and tricks in the book but I have never heard tell of the 'toothpick' trick!

Oh...do tell! Inquirin' mind have got to know!!

God bless and I hope your enjoyin' the sunshine today...'almost forgot what it looked like. Heeehehehe!

Josie Two Shoes said...

What a delightful trip down memory lane! I had a neon pink short dress with a Nehru collar (yes, we know the kids here have no idea what that is)and a jumbo zipper that went all the way down the front. I used to have to put a pin in the top to prevent clever classmates from unzipping it! :-) Loving that your nephew has a soft spot in your heart because his birth rescued you from premature death due to hicky. I bet he loves that story too! Happy Birthday big guy, you have an amazing aunt! :-)

Josie Two Shoes said...

That is a HUGE number of blog posts... can we say PROFLIC! One might just get the idea that you love to write, and it suits you very well! Stopping by here to read and enjoy your photos is always a day brightener... keep 'em coming, you can throw a party when you hit 2000!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on almost two thousand posts!
And I'm not sure I ever even gave anyone a hickey.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

I never looked but will now...see what you started!...:)JP

Susan Anderson said...

Your story takes me back...to some pretty fun(ny) memories. Enjoyed it!

=)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...