a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Yeti, Sasquatch, Panther or Tom Cat...

Skunk filled the air.  The dogs barked as the coyotes traveled through.  They always bark and howl with them as they pass. This night was different.  The dogs sounded more frantic, more agitated and less brave.  I could feel it as I listened in the kitchen.

Andrew had opened a window hoping it would decrease the smell in his room.  Little did he know when the central heat kicked on it acted like a suction and kept pulling the skunk aroma into his room. Later shutting the window and spraying Febreze solved that problem.

Through two walls I heard the "scream" and Andrew heard it through an open window.  We both headed toward each other through the house.  Andrew had a look of surprise on his face.  We both asked at the same time, "Did you hear that?"  Andrew said, "Nana, it sounded like a women being murdered!"

I said coyotes, he said woman.  I said cougar, he said woman.  Of course Papa didn't hear a thing in his den.  He got his giant see-every-thing-on-the-farm light and shined toward the barn.  We have an old truck box trailer set for a work shop but has morphed into a storage and feed shed.  This after much discussion was the direction of the unidentified "scream".

Nothing showed but cat eyes, barn cat eyes, or was it??

Andrew and I were not convinced it was simply a cat or a coyote.

It was not heard again that night.

Later I was watching tv and caught an episode of some Sasquatch hunting reality show.  I listened to the calls.  I researched on the computer.  I played sounds as Andrew was in the other room.  One sound Weird Scream and another sound Scream Howl caused him to run out and say, "That was it!!!"

Now wouldn't that be special if we house a Yeti in this magical spring valley?

My nephew during a big lightning storm saw a large upright lighter colored very tall hairy being a couple of years ago.  Andrew has seen a glimpse of an unidentified upright being.  I have followed one with a gun and a flashlight.  Years ago a Bigfoot crossed a highway in front of Hubby's car.  We have no proof.

It will remain a mystery perhaps like my vision of a cave in this valley, the voices I hear sometimes in the house but can never understand and a few other unexplained things.

Don't call me crazy.  Call me lucky.  I hope we see a unicorn next.  Any one know what kind of sound they make?  That is something I would like to see in my lifetime.

As I played these sounds for this post the dogs cut a shine outside and pull quickly into the yard.  Lizzy on my bed looks around the room with alarm.

And I remember what Granny Pruett always said, "There is nothing new under the sun.  We may not have seen it but there's nothing new."

Outside the dogs still bark.

30 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Those screams would have me packing though I have never heard of a Yeti attack. We had a similar fellow in Florida referred to as a Skunk Ape. Called "skunk" for obvious reasons. Wouldn't mind seeing one but from a distance.
Keep your camera ready. Your Granny is right.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I heard very scary noises one evening when I was out in the front yard near dark-thirty. I had to come in and listen to every wild animal noise on google until I found out what it was...red fox.
I hope you find that unicorn..I'm looking for one myself.

Deb said...

You should call the Big foot show maybe they can track down your visitor or find that unicorn ... Love the way you told the story!!!

Brian Miller said...

ooo maybe it is a wendigo....the night sounds are def interesting...maybe just a kit....hmm...

Manzanita said...

Nothing new under the sun BUT you can always enjoy the skunk smell. Call me weird but I've always liked the scent of skunk. Really.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That would be unnerving.

Primitive Stars said...

Wow!!!! Love your story Gail......wouldn't that be something to see a Unicorn, love that, as for Bigfoot, not so much....Blessings Francine.

Dreaming said...

The recordings gave me the creeps... how creepy!

Lynne said...

Nothing new under sun other than a sound not heard before, now that would be new to the person hearing that sound for the first time . . . wouldn't it?

You have my curiosity peeked to the hilt. I am with Andrew, better go check the feed shed to make sure there isn't some body in the corner or hanging from the rafters!

Love your telling of a story!
******
Years ago, in two homes before this, I would hear the "whoo" from an Owl. I would go to the door and "whoooo" back. He answered again . . . does that make me special or something . . . or, who hasn't " whooed" back at an owl . . . better yet, "whooo" cares!

the canned quilter said...

No telling what's out there in them woods! That's what my daughter says all the time. She insists on heavy curtains over her window pulled every night and the window locked even though we don't have a neighbor for miles. Just woods and fields and ?????

MadSnapper said...

what ever it is, stay in the house when it is screaming, none of the above would i want to see in the dark. i just went to a sight and listened to panthers http://www.soundboard.com/sb/leopard_audio_sounds i am thinking it was a cougar... they sound like a woman screaming.. whatever it was glad the dogs are safe and it made a great post

Maude Lynn said...

How weird! Keep your camera ready!

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

I always trust a dog's reaction to a sound. Out St.Bernard's always had a keen ear to beasties when we went camping. The tent was kinda crowded but I always felt safer.
Yeti????? That would be scary cool. Unicorn..that would be delightful. Glad everyone is okay.
You always have me with the way you tell a good tale. Oma Linda

TexWisGirl said...

anything that yowls that i can't identify, you can keep up there...

Susan Anderson said...

You sure know how to tell a story! And a Yeti would be cool, as long as you don't get too close to it!

I'm crossing my fingers for you on the unicorn. How cool would that be?

=)

Anonymous said...

This is a great post! They say there are many Sasquatch down yonder! Keep that camera handy, and keep us posted. I loved this!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Ann said...

I say bobcat or bigger cat!

Josie Two Shoes said...

This is so very cool, and what I love is that you are the kind that wouldn't be out to kill one for fame and glory, you live in harmony with the land and all it's beings, known to us and not.

Empty Nester said...

Well thanks, there Gail. For freaking me out completely. I shall lie awake tonight listening. And I will hear those screams and think those thoughts and well...thanks for that. LOL

Country Gal said...

I know a Screech Owl can sound like a women's scream it could be one of those , we have them here and sometimes they sound horribly eerie ! Hope it is just passing through what ever it is ! Great post though . Oh doesn't that fresh skunk smell just rot your socks off ? lol ! Have a good evening !

Willow said...

Oh I loved this the way you gave the description too! Granny is right we just haven't seen everything yet ...

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Good grief. I'd be scared.
My friend has coyotes come through her property at 3 am and she blows a Tibetan horn, whatever that is to scare them off.
Said it sounds like an elephant.
Appreciated reading about your experience.
Stay safe.
Blessings,
Barb

Sandy Livesay said...

Would you consider setting up a critter cam in the yard? This may help determine what your dealing with.

We have one setup because we had teenagers walking on to the property destroying my garden.

carolina nana said...

I have heard weird screams during the night sometimes around here that sounded like a woman screaming.
One of hubbie's friends said a coyote can make a screaming sound. Maybe we both should just stay inside and let the dogs take care of things outside in the dark !!!
Have a blessed Sunday
Marilyn

Far Side of Fifty said...

Rabbits can make a screaming sound too.. Dogs are pretty smart if they say something is there I bet it is:)

LindaG said...

I don't believe unicorns make any noise.
I hope you are all safe from the Sasquatch. Or Yeti.
That would have totally creeped me out!
Happy, safe Sunday to you! ♥

LilliStJohn said...

I would have been intrigued by the noise and curious to know what the scream was. I probably might have turned on all outdoor lights or big floodlight hopefully to see. I do agree with Far Side Of Fifty - a rabbit screaming sounds like a human, but then a coyote can make the same sound almost, when attacked or dying. Then it could be the mysterious upright that has been glimpsed - perhaps it was hungry and looking for a fat chicken? Great story Gail - kinds like some of our local stories that remain unexplained - perhaps you might just find out. I always trust my dog - if my dog has her ears pulled pack and nervous or whining, - sure sign the dogs are not going to meddle with whatever it was.

Pat said...

Yikes! That would have scared the bejesus out of me! Be camera-ready, 'cause if there IS a sasquatsh in the area, YOU'D be the one to catch it on camera! ;)

John Going Gently said...

I would have wet myself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...