a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Monday, April 29, 2013

The Power of Lightning...

The past partially repeated itself last week.  We've had wonderfully generous amounts of rain accompanied by wind, thunder and lightning. Some seemed awfully close as I counted the seconds between the flash and the clap of thunder.

Yesterday preparing to move cattle to greener pastures Hubby "ran" the fence line, not physically but on his Ranger.  He returned to the house madder than a wet hen saying someone had cut the fence!  Are you sure? I ask.  Hubby is one of those who naturally jumps to the worse case scenario and when he solves the problem he is always the hero.

He gathered supplies and returned to repair the hole.

It was not cut!  It was fried! This is brand new barbed wire which takes years to change color or be affected in any way by the weather...except for lightning.
All that remains of four strands of twenty-five feet of fencing.
If you look closely you can see the discoloration
 that could only be made from fire.
Hubby had cheated a little
 and nailed to some trees along the fence line.
All he could find was still attached to a tree.
I'm glad the cattle were not close
like Dad's story above.

This reminds me of that old commercial,
"It's not nice to fool Mother Nature."

20 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow, never heard of it frying barbed wire before.

TexWisGirl said...

oh, that is scary! so glad your pastures were plenty moist so nothing could catch fire!

MadSnapper said...

YOWSA and YIKESOLA!!! who would have thought it could do that... so happy no one was near, people or livestock or pups... this is why i huddle in the middle of the house and wait for it to quit. you will not find me looking out a window or close to a door.

Sketching with Dogs said...

That is incredible that lightening could cut through a metal fence. Glad you got some much needed rain for the animals.
Lynne x

Buttons Thoughts said...

Wow I can honestly say I have never seen that.B

DFW said...

Wow. I'm glad the animals weren't near (or you guys for that matter).

Anonymous said...

Whoa. I am glad no one was hurt!

LilliStJohn said...

Imagine - one would never think about that, but then Mother Nature fools us all the time, doesn't she. Wow, not much left of those strands - glad no animals were harmed - I'm going back to look at the photos. Hi to everyone :)

Dreaming said...

I am in awe.... I didn't know lightning could do that. Holy cow!

thewovenspoke said...

Wow, I know first hand what Lightning does to people , but never have seen anything like the fence. I'm too am glad you or yours were not hurt. You don't want to go there.

Primitive Stars said...

Wow!!! That is crazy, never new lightning could hit wire, Francine.

Susan Kane said...

Barbed wire fried? Have never seen that before!

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Wow...that s down right scary! Glad the cattle were safe...:)JP

Farm Girl said...

My great grandfather was killed going through a barb wire fence in 1919 when lighting struck the barb wire and traveled through it to him. He was trying to get the last of the hay in before the lighting and thunder started. I am so glad that you guys weren't around either. That is amazing that it did that to the wire.

DesertHen said...

Lightning is such a scary thing! So glad the cattle were not near the fence! Sorry about the fence though! Fence work is such a tough, time consuming job!

I've been MIA on blog reading this past week. So busy with work! I'm now gonna sit here with my drink and do a little catch up reading! =)

Sandy Livesay said...

Gail,

I know this can happen, thank God no one was close by and the animals are okay.

It's a good thing Dennis found the fence when he did, and was able to fix it before the cattle found the opening.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

WOW! Of course you are right...the fence got fried. Wasn't the tree burned? Certainly NOT just cut..but then I'm not an expert like your husband..so..you know.. :):):)

Lynne said...

Wow . . . scary stuff . . .

Susan Anderson said...

Sheesh. That is crazy!

Nature is a powerful force.

LindaG said...

Wow. That is crazy. Glad you guys are okay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...