a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Monday, January 26, 2009

Chickens!


My sister, Marcy, has chickens and supplies us all with eggs. A mixed batch of straight run bantams was a gift a few years ago. It is a gift that keeps on giving. Marcy is unable to butcher chickens any more, thus the large amount of roosters. Every now and then she gives some away.
Marcy now has an even more mixed batch of offspring.
If a hen wants to set, she allows it.
When we ask which ones we need to butcher, she can not or will not choose.
They eat, they poop and they reproduce and Marcy is happy.
My pencil sketch on cardboard does not eat much.

9 comments:

Tina said...

Gail, I know you say.. Meat!! but I love that second photo with its feathers all fluffed up! Nice sketch! :)

Tiffany said...

Loving the roosters! And I don't blame her at all, I don't know if I could pick either, as pretty as they all are! lol

Anonymous said...

Gee - that's a good sketch! I can't even do stick pics!!
I think those chickens and rooster are adorable and I don't blame Marcy one little bit for not butchering them!

Grammy said...

I love your rooster. You did a great job on the tail. You could sit and watch the curl. All the chicken photos are great too. I like the fluff.

Melanie said...

Okay...I was just kidding when I said that you post too much!!! Imagine my surprise when I cam here today, and saw that I am not about 3-5 posts behind!!! LOL!!!

Marcie's chickens are cute, but I am more of a duck gal myself. And I just saw your award with my quote on your side-bar!!! Now everyone will know what a baby I am ...lol!!!
Seriously though, I NEVER cry, and you make me get misty-eyed all of the time. :)

Melanie said...

Ughhhh...I meant to say "came" not "cam!!!"

DesertHen said...

We have lots of chickens and roosters too. Countrychick raised them all from little sick ( they arrived sick from the hatchery ) babies and she won't part with any of them! She uses them for her 4-H project. I want to get some new laying hens this spring, which means making more room in the coop.....not by culling, but by building on. Hayman is gonna love me...NOT! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the sketch!!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oooohhh! You've got Frizzles!!! I soooo wanted some frizzle chickens when I first ordered mine. They are so cute with all their curly feathers :)

Your sketch is da bomb, baby!

Now get out there and ax you some roo!

lol!
You gonna chow some backyard fowl tonight, girlfriend!

~Lisa

The Legend said...

Coop Chickens
Comment: (informative comment related to article, it has to pass moderation)
URL: http://www.poshchicks.co.uk

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...