a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Friday, January 23, 2009

My Tale of Magic

I have always dreamed of horses. And, like many dreams, they always seem to be out of reach.
A life long obsession has now become a reality. Oh, there are many tales of how my dream came true. Magic Man's birth is one tale and is, indeed, magic.
Magic Man in all his winter glory
I raised miniature horses a few years ago to see if I wanted to do that as a second career when I retired. "From little things, big things grow" to quote an Australian singer. I did not purchase a single large horse, they seem to come to me on their own, which is magic unto itself.

My first Arabian was a trade for a miniature. My second large horse, a Haflinger mare, was also a trade.

Magic was my third.

I had placed Charme into the stud pen with Knot since I had heard there was great success in this cross of breeds. I wondered why she did not come into season. Our minis were birthing and had just finished three days earlier. My sister called, there was a foal in the pasture with the big horses and Knot was going crazy! I could not imagine how a foal could cross that barrier. Getting closer Marcy discovered it was not just any foal but one from Charme! Now we know why she was not coming in season. Charme is one of those horses, I now know, who looks the same bred and not bred. The milk bag is the only hint.
Magic Man was born. A leggy large baby boy brought into this world with no assistance and doing well. Knot was prancing and Charme was screaming stay away from my baby. Marcy got Knot out and things settled down. Now all this is happening while I am at work and getting reports by phone.
At first sight, I fell for him. He looked so huge compared to our mini babies. I was not sure how to proceed. Such a big boy, I think, such a pretty boy to appear magically...thus Magic Man.

Ready to start riding this summer. I do not like to start too early.
So Magic Man joined our herd. The previous owner of Charme had no idea she was bred. She had only been with her Doc Bar Quarter Horse two days. But there is no doubt who the father is because Magic is the spitting image of his dad. The lady wanted to buy them both...not for sale...my horses now.
Magic is such a kind man(gelding, now). I suspect he will not buck when the saddle is laid. We had no problem with Knot in that department either. I may be wrong, but I think when raised with a kind loving heart, they want to please you.
I guess, if you dream hard enough and long enough, it will come true.

4 comments:

Christy said...

That is what I believe. If you dream hard enough and never stop believing it will come true!

Carla said...

What a beautiful, magical story! He is a handsome fella thats for sure:)

Treasia Stepp said...

Magic Man is gorgeous. I have always loved the color of paints. So pretty. What a unique story and a great name for him.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

And oftentimes with surprising results :)

I'm glad your dreams have come true, Gail.

~Hugs,
Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...