a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Blame Lisa!

Lisa, at Laughing Orca Ranch, and I were having an email discussion. Due to her immobility, I shall entertain her with my answers.

Lisa commented, HAH! Sure, count yourself tagged with your blog assignment. And you can answer these questions, too.

1)Have you ever had any of those critters as a pet?

I have had deer, rabbits, raccoon, mice, snakes, spiders and possums for pets. My oldest daughter raised a possum with a bottle. Herman was a sable possum and really quite pretty. When we went on vacation(girls only), hubby was in charge of Herman's care. With his mamma gone, Herman refused to eat. Through many tearful phone calls, (not Hubby's), Den was directed to get him bananas, walk him in the yard and talk to him. I'm not talking to a possum in my front yard! Someone may come by and see us! By the end of the week, Herman was not moving to drink or eat. Melissa came home and there lay Herman, barely hanging on. He heard his mama'a voice and staggered to her and happily began to eat. Herman grew to be a healthy, rather large, guard possum. Since he was a he, we did release him in the wild. Herman came to visit us less often as he quickly discovered he was not human.

2)Have you ever eaten Road Kill? (Isn't there a Road Kill Festival somewhere near you where they make road kill stew and other delicious delicacies?)

We don't call it road kill if it's still moving!
I do not know of any festivals, although, before the health laws were so strict, a freshly killed deer was taken to the school or nursing home to help expand the lunch menus.
I personally have never eaten road kill...now there was that one time. I was on my way to work and a gentleman had hit a large buck with his car. I stopped to assist and the deer was not dead. I asked if he was going to finish him since the deer's back was broken. He did not know what I meant, nor did he have a tool. I pulled my trusty Buck knife outta my pocket and ending the deer's suffering humanely. I said I cannot dress him, I have to go to work and I did not want blood on my uniform. I contacted the sheriff(this was before cell phones). By this time the gentlemen had found a dull knife. In tandem we removed the scent glands and loaded him into the back of the car. This guy knew nothing! In my neck of the woods, this is an unknown animal, a man who cannot finish a deer nor field dress one! He shook my bloody hand as I left and said I will never forget you. A week later, the local butcher called and said there was meat left for me from this guy who hit the deer. I liked to brag that I got a bigger buck than anyone at work and didn't even fire a shot.

3)Is there any kind of meat you will not eat? Mammal, Amphibian, Reptile?

I will try anything...once. If you do not try it, how will you know if you do not like it? I could not eat a horse, unless I was literally starving to death...have to draw the line somewhere!

4)Have you eaten frog legs before?

Yes, haven't you? One of my favorite dishes but you have to remember to remove the main tendon in the leg or they will "hop" when they are cooked. I have gigged for frogs and that is an adventure unto itself.

5)How about Snail?

Never have had the opportunity but would try it...once. I hear it is very expensive.

Lisa said, "Knock your ever lovin' socks off, my friend! So what's your favorite meat and why? Raccoon, opossum, squirrel, rabbits, turkey, deer? What's your least favorite to eat?"

I have eaten raccoon many times. I like it barbecued whole. It must be a young one or it will taste strong. Groundhog and Possum are a little too greasy for me, like eel, they are good only when warm.
I love deer tenderloin, and deep fried wild turkey (way better than domestic turkey), squirrel and rabbits make the best dumplings.

Now, I hear the snickers and the jokes about the Arkansas Hillbilly here. But want to know something? When the groceries stores are empty, I will still have something to eat...hope it is not armadillo!!!

7 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

I have eaten, deer, rabbit, squirrel, turkey, pheasant and I think that is it for wild life. I have seen the snails ready to be shipped to the restaurants, I new the man who raised snails for eating. But I never ate a snail in my lifetime.

Christy said...

I've had snail and frog legs. Both are very good. I haven't had some of the other stuff though. But I'd be willing to try.

Melanie said...

...I just read your "birth" story below. How terrible for you, although I cannot say that technology has greatly improved the process...lol!!!

I figured you for someone who has eaten their fair share of critters and varmints! My grandparents both came from Souther ILL, and SW MO, and they used to always talk about eating various critters!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

I'm not surprised, Gail. I'm not as adventurous as you tho...if the grocery stores were low or we couldn't have our own meat 'growing'..I'd become mostly a veggie. We do have wild turkeys..and other birds I'd eat. Cowboy said there were two 'road kill' Elk yesterday down the road and would have brought them home, but coyotes had already started feasting... I do like most Elk..if it's taken care of properly! A lot of so called hunters don't know the proper handling....
I should send you to my folks, they have a raccoon in their yard that won't leave!

Grammy said...

I grew up a picky butt. As my mom could not cook. I lived on burgers and fries after they were invented. Before that it was bean potato's and corn bread. It was not till I moved out I tried new food. I will taste most food. I love shrimp crab and bison. I has frogs legs 1 time in Arkansas it was not so ok. then again here the first 2 legs were good. #3 was to many. I like elk and dear if it is done right. I will have to do a post on my cooking adventures of goose turkey and lobster.

Treasia Stepp said...

I haven't had frog legs in years but love them. Loved this post Gail. The story of the deer is just to funny. Maybe the man was just traveling through.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I take full responsibility for this interesting, entertaining and educational post.
(Hey those words all start with E! lol!)

I've eaten none of those creatures except deer and elk. I've also eaten bison and oryx. Yummo!

I tried snail (with the fancy name: escargot) once in a restaurant. They were too chewy for my liking, but they didn't taste like much...mostly gritty. Not pleasant at all.

I went to a Chinese New Year party once and they served snail stuffed in shells. I thought I might try them, but the shells looked just the same as the pet Mystery Snail I kept in my freshwater tank at home.
I'm kind of a softie. hehe.

I can't imagine that armadillo would be goot eating. They're mammals but look more reptilian. Just can't be a good combination.....

Great post, Gail :)

~Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...