a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Monday, January 19, 2009

Martin and Melissa

Melissa, all grown up with her child, Jake.

I learned of MartinLuther King Jr through newspapers, television and books.
I learned of Melissa DeAnne first hand. She is our first child.

Thirty-six years ago my water broke. I had always laughed that a husband would grab the suitcase and forget the wife. Well....he forgot me, but only for a moment or two and tried to cover by saying he was just putting the suitcase in the car.

This was a new experience and no matter who has told you what, it never is that way. I think my best piece of advice came from my mother. She said the baby will know when it's time, then just push like you need to poop.

I arrived to find I was not in labor. After twelve pills and one shot to start the labor, a shot to stop it(I needed to rest) and another shot to start it again, I am in labor.
These were the times when the mother should be medicated, the child birthed quietly with no input by anyone but the doctors. Some form of gas canister was strapped to my wrist and I was forced to inhale this stuff. It made me sick. My husband tried to come to my aid, the nurses would not listen. I took over!

This THING on my wrist became a weapon. Trying to force any nurse or doctor to remove it, I cursed! Now I knew better but what a wonderful opportunity to be able to use those horrible words I learned through my life time! I could be forgiven because I was in labor AND drugged. I also discovered I was quite good at it.

The labor progressed too slowly for me. At this point I had been in and out of labor for three days. Their solution was more drugs!!!!

Being the farm girl that I was and am, I asked the nurses for a toe sack. But, why, honey, do you need a toe sack( a burlap sack held potatoes, just my guess, thus the name). I said wrap it around that baby's legs and pull it out. This was a common method used in pulling calves.

I had the pleasure of drawing a large foreboding commanding nurse of recent German descent, still had the accent. The doctor was not there (of course) when things got ready to happen. She told me don't push, don't push, the doctor's not here. Well, MZ German Tank, this baby is coming anyway!!! She was trying to hold my legs together!!! I found out later, she had never had a child.

I awoke in the delivery room to be told we had a healthy daughter weighing eight pounds and nine ounces. I also awoke to an entire class of student nurses watching the doctor tying knots...down there.

Okay, you who laugh! This was thirty six years ago and we have come along way, Thank God.


Today I say Happy Birthday to Martin and Melissa.
May all your dreams come true.
Love ya, kid!!!!

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

Happy Birthday to Melissa!!
One of the only things I wouldn't go back in time for, and that was the way babies were delivered, lol
What a cutie Jake is!

Sharon said...

Gail you should have thwapped somebody in the head with that gas can. I know you had the nerve, why didn't you do it? lol!

I hope your daughter has a happy birthday dear Gail :)

How many children do you have and by the way, when is YOUR birthday?

Love
Sharon

DesertHen said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter....=)

Wow, I don't think I would have had any more children if that had been my first experience with labor! Things sure have come a long ways since those days.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! S

Carla said...

Happy Birthday to your girl, and congratulations mom:) You had to 'earn' this one didn't you???

C-ingspots said...

Hey Gail!! Convey my best wishes to your daughter on her birthday. My b-day is day after tomorrow - so close. I just realized that you are the postmaster?? My sister retired from the post office and my nephew and a niece are both rural mail carriers. They say that they fully understand and can commiserate with the term "going postal". Can you??? He hee hee!! I have never given birth before, however I was in the delivery room with my friend (who screamed and swore and...) so maybe that is my I never had any children of my own???? Scared the *&#! out of me for sure!!

Wendy said...

What a wonderful and happy post! And funny too! Congrats on your lovely daughter.
Oh, those "olden day" treatments.
My son was born 36 years ago (this coming March) too. I was in and out of labour for 2 days too. Thought he'd NEVER be born. Well, he was - 8 lbs and 3 oz. Nice healthy baby.
No, I didn't quite get all the drugs and stuff but isn't childbirth amazing? Especially once it's all over.
Happy Birthday Melissa! Happy Birthday Martin!

Grammy said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter Melissa!
I don't think I would have had a 2nd on with an experience like that. Thank god for epidural's.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Happy Birthday Melissa! (Who is Martin? And when is his birthday? Did you have twins?)

What an amusing story, Gail.
Made me laugh.

I had pitocin and a spinal block with my twins, just because the Dr's said twins were high risk, and then I was afraid I might miss their birth if I needed a emergency c-section.

There births weren't bad, though. I pushed them out 37 minutes apart. The hardest part was being so numb from my tummy down that I couldn't feel when to push.

I gave birth to my daughter without any drugs at all. She was 11 lbs 12oz. Everything came natural and I was in no real pain. Just discomfort. It was the most amazing and beautiful moment of my life feeling my baby enter the world :)

But I'm glad I don't ever have to do it again. lol!

Happy Birthday to you, too Gail....you BIRTHed your baby on this day. Celebrate!

~Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...