a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Friday, March 30, 2012

Hot Flashes and Hellgrammites

I don't know if it's this freaky weather or my lone ovary talking to me.  Hot one minute, cold the next.  The rest of the baby factory was disassembled pre-1988 but doc said the lonely one would do it's work.  Could also be something else, anyway, it's not any fun.

My mind is as jumpy as my temperature.  I thought hot flashes, then I thought Hellgrammites  That took me to childhood hunting for fish bait.  Strange how things process in this old hard drive I call my brain.  I said it twice, hot flashes and hellgrammites and it sounded good...thus the birth of this post.

When it was too dry to dig for earth worms, we hunted hellgrammites.  Now, these babies, exactly what they are, can bite. They are larvae. They kinda roll with the current of a stream.  Dad would place a screen at a good point in the creek.  It was our job to stir the hellgrammites.

When they caught on the screen, we removed them to some container.  This was the fun part for Dad (I blame him for my orneriness). We girls got to pick them.  With lots of ouching and squealing we tried not to get bitten.  Dad stood by with his blue Irish eyes twinkling ever ready with instructions on how to catch them without the bite.

We left the hunt soaked from jumping and splashing in the shallow stream while catching these little monsters.  I suspect Dad was a little tired from laughing. Our fish bait was now ready to magically turn into dinner. 

We always had bass for supper when we had hellgrammites.  I guess that was one way Dad taught us to work for our dinner. 

For those in doubt, this is a happy memory.

13 comments:

Lynne said...

You are SO good! You had me at 'one ovary' . . . gosh this was good, fun, creative. A short story filled with a ton of visions , . . . and Blue Eye Moments . . .

Country Gal said...

Great post ! It is the hormones that cause hot flashes and chills . They used to think that if a women doesnt have their baby making parts inside they wouldnt have menopause NOT TRUE ! It is all controlled by the hormones and can also be the Thyriod which is also concidered a hormone with in your neck ! Just a bit of info I have been going through it majorly for 6 years now ! Oh what fun NOT !! Have a good day !

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

This post is in fact a stunner. Flashings not so bad if ya do it right.....teehee. Oma Linda

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Testing...testing...1...2...3...

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Woohoo!!! I haven't been able to post a comment and anything, embedded or window!!!

Yep, those hot flashes, night sweats, power surges...when will they ever end??? Shoot, I'm even a couple year older than you.

I always have fun twirlin' 'round in your memories.

God bless ya sweetie and have yourself a fantastic weekend!!!

TexWisGirl said...

how cute! i can see it was definitely enjoyable for your father to watch. :)

Laurel's Quill said...

We had two ponds on our property which were loaded with catfish and frogs. I had three brothers, so just use your imagination on what you can do with a 22 and a bullfrog...did I actually admit that???!!! Only a farmgirl would understand...Have a great weekend. laurel

IanH said...

I've seen them in the wild, but never knew what they were called. Thanks for the explanation.

Susan Anderson said...

What a great post! And I could tell it was a good memory...

=)

PS. I have the flashes too. Pain in the butt.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Why didn't you wear gloves? Sounds entertaining.

Irene said...

I've been having hot flashes myself today and I thought I was too old for them. I was also wondering if it was my thyroid since I do take medication for it. I have no equipment left, so how is that possible? Call me hot flash mamma! And you too!

Sandy Livesay said...

Gail,
I can be hot one minute, cold the next. So I maybe ornery or I maybe just plain old crazy, lol. Damn Hormones!!! My husband tells me my thermostat is just broke. What can I to say...what to say.

I love your post, memories are are always cherished close to the the heart.

Far Side of Fifty said...

That is one nasty looking creature! Garlic makes me have hot flashes..sometimes for some people they are food related:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...