a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Monday, March 26, 2012

Something Said, Take The Camera...

but did I listen?  Nooooooooooo and I regretted it.  The dogs were barking, Ki, Junior and Squiggie were baying, barking, singing a wild dog song.   Knowing my dog's barks I heard, "Danger!"

As I approached the Borders joined the melee. Rarely vocal, the Borders assessed the situation quickly.  With a simple no nonsense motion, Lil stepped in, silently, swiftly removed the snake, ending the canine chorus with one deadly shake.  Ki and Squiggs jumped in for their piece...of the Copperhead.  Within fifteen seconds of my arrival, the poisonous snake lay in pieces so  scattered I couldn't determine the original size.  All that mattered was one less poisonous snake.

During Junior's first poisonous snake encounter he acted safely and cautiously while trying to remove the snake from between the rock and the fence post.  The three from the small team darted in, grabbed and retreated.  Then came Lil, Big Bad Lil, never one to waste a motion, she quickly extracted and executed the snake in one whiplash move.

Ki, foaming at the mouth, from the terrible taste of a poison snake, dropped her piece but gained another during the farm dog dance of success.  The barking had ended.   The words, Good Dogs, were spoken generously.

I returned to the house, proud of my little pack of farm dogs, doing their job well...and still kicking myself for having no camera!

11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

sounds familiar. louise is our #1 snake killer, here...

Marti said...

Good dogs! Hope they got an extra treat tonight.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good dogs for sure..I am so glad no one was bitten:)

Lynne said...

Oh my . . . I think I am somewhat kinda maybe brave . . . but a Copperhead . . . nada no way . . .

Unknown said...

As you probably already know, a copperhead bite won't kill you, but it'll sure make you sick enough to hope for death. Now, timber rattlers and cottonmouths are an entirely different story.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I'm sayin' sister. I can't tell ya the times I've gotten that call of HELP from Farm Boy. Ya know, one of those "ya want me to do what moments." I generally end up kickin' myself.

Hubs says a real blogger wears her/his camera 'round their neck at all times. Guess I'm one of those pretend blogger gals. Heeehehehe!

So glad no one was bit. We had a friend lose part of his hand last year due to a copperhead bite. Those bad babies are fast!

God bless ya sweetie and stay alert out there! :o)

ellen abbott said...

Obviously, I need a farm dog.

Irene said...

You have very brave dogs and I'm glad none of them was hurt. I do worry about them during these attacks. I hope it always ends up well.

LindaG said...

You'll have to teach us how to train our dogs to do that.
Unless they come by it naturally.

Glad the dogs are all okay!

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Copper is our snake killer. Moon knows better...:)JP

Susan Anderson said...

Scary! Glad none of the dogs was hurt.

=)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...