a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Friday, March 23, 2012

Last Day of Spring Break...

I had a few days off and have accomplished nothing.  I've helped join two long time friends for a spring break holiday.  I've toured them around the counties, taken them to one movie and out to eat twice. I've taken Andrew on a group date. I returned to work Wednesday sad because my time off was short.
My second grandson Jake joined the group and they journeyed with Papa to another movie and Chinese food.  They drank Mountain Dew until they were wired, played basketball, explored the farm, stayed up late and have generally been a busy group of gentlemen. Games of horse, basketball, and football have echoed through the valley at a volume only these young men could generate. The electronic games and the guitars screamed and the computer smoked with overuse.
Friday is officially their last day.  I was only with them two days, Papa the rest of the time but I believe these boys are taking home some memories.

John Carter, The Lorax, the different food we introduced them too, the tricks they've pulled, the Native American spear point Dalton found as they all explored the creek...all these will be tales they carry with them for the rest of their lives.

The house is a mess, we adults are exhausted, Zander took a roll down the stairs but all in all, it was a successful break from the scheduled life of structured education.

I hope they've learned the simplest joys are the best, that humor and honesty are good things, and I hope they know they are loved.
Today Jake returns home, Saturday Dalton returns,  and life returns to "normal". May the laughter, the adventures, the late nights and the companionship carry them through to our next break..and may the adults be recuperated enough for the next adventure.

20 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh they are never going to forget this break and neither will you two. I would think finding the spear would be so awesome. I really must come visit you. You have the coolest place to visit for sure. Rest now. B

Lynne said...

I can hear them . . . twenty years from now . . . remember that time we found the Indian spear in the creek . . the road trip . . . group date . . granny, grandpa . . . jamming . . . wasn't that just the best time . . . awesome, cool, wicked . . .

Thank you for giving them such wonderful memories and best of all . . . giving them your time . . .

LindaG said...

A short break but well spent!

We saw John Carter. Enjoyed it a lot. We thought it was mostly pretty well done.

Haven't seen Lorax. Hubby not interested, haha.

Have a wonderful, successful weekend, Gail. ♥

Wayne W Smith said...

Sounds like an amazing Spring Break for your crew!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

....and that's what keep ya young 'cause these boys will always remember the time that rockin' grandma took the time makin' memories!!!

Ya have yourself a blessed weekend Miss Gail and rest up!!!

(like your gonna listen) Heeehehehe!!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

These are memories that will last a lifetime. What a perfect week for the boys! blessings, marlene

the canned quilter said...

Whew..I'm tired just from reading all that. And I though I was tired just from chasing my 20 month old grandson for 2 days. What great grandparents you are.

TexWisGirl said...

you have given them the best week of memories...

Unknown said...

It sounds like a pretty nice vacation to me! Just relaxing and enjoying the moments with friends and family.

Country Gal said...

I am sure this time spent with you will always be etched in their minds ! Sounds like a wonderful time had by all the best way to spend time is with family ! Chores will still be there no matter what life is to short to spend cleaning all the time and besides with pets in and out and people it just looks the same as it did before ya cleaned after anyways lol a little spit and polish and your off to the races ! Awesome post and photos ! Have a great day !

Empty Nester said...

Oh what a fabulous week y'all have had! I'm so envious- and exhausted- from just reading about it! They are so blessed to have such a fantastic place to play and learn and make memories that last a lifetime!

Susan Anderson said...

Can't wait till my grandkids are old enough to visit me like that!

=)

Anonymous said...

I know it can be a bit messy when you've had teenagers in the house, but I'm sure it was worth it and that they had a great time during their stay.
Have a great weekend!

Eva

Sandy Livesay said...

Gail, Sounds like the kids had a blast for Spring Break.

ellen abbott said...

Sounds like they had a great time. I had my four for four days out here.

Keetha Broyles said...

We get our grans for about a week once each year - - - that will be coming up in June.

They are 3 & 6, and when they go back home, we collapse in an exhausted heap for DAYS on end!!

Fun - - - but oh so exhausting.

Pat said...

Sounds like a memorable week......full of fun! I bet the kids had a great time, as did Grandma and Grandpa!

DesertHen said...

Sounds like a week everyone will remember for a long time to come!

Unknown said...

:)

LilliStJohn said...

These are the kind of memories you want to share with your kids and grandkids. This is just the way it should be. Yep, tired, yep, exhausted, but the stories, the fun, the finds, the music and all will last in the mind forever. Did you know I have a "Magic Closet". I shall tell you about that in a letter soon. Have a wonderful day Gail, lol to you n yours and special hugz to Marcy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...