a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Friday, September 18, 2009

Arkansas Razorbacks

Why in the world would they name a hog a razorback?


Mom and Dad made many friends through the years of traveling on construction. There was one family that was a favorite of mine. The woman, when she knew I was coming to visit, would always bake a pumpkin pie. The man would let me PLAY with his old fashioned push mower, the kind that runs on man power.
One visit, he was showing Dad his fattening hog, man, it was huge or so it appeared to me as a four year old. At this time, I always wore dresses Mom made out of flour or feed sacks and Mom made a big bow to tie in the back. I am not rambling, I am setting the scene here. Just remember I have a dress on.
The man asked me, do you want to ride the hog? I guess I answered yes, 'cause he sat me on the back of that honking big fat hog and left me there. The hair of the hog was so coarse that it felt like it was cutting my legs. I remember thinking, this must be why they call them razorbacks.

8 comments:

Tonia said...

OUCH!!!

Grammy said...

That was quite an adventure. I did not know you could ride one. After my visit to the pig farm. All I can think about is if you fell would you be dinner. As they even as kids seem to nibble on shoes and cloths. I enjoyed your story. I am off to the dentist. I will be loosing an eye tooth today. Not looking forward to it. But it is a repaired tooth the abscessed. And I do not want to waste $1000 on 1 tooth. only to loose it.

Irene said...

Wasn't it dangerous to put you on the back of that hog when you were that little?

Carla said...

Well, now this I did not know. We didn't fatten full wild hogs. Last year we caught a half wild one and fattened it, mmmmmmm, pork!!!

allhorsestuff said...

How did I just KNOW you were going there??!! And YOU never ramble!
Xo
KK

Leslie said...

My first thought was that the man must have really trusted his hog. Good thing you only got your legs scratched from his hair.

Patricia said...

I imagine the man was right there by your side as you rode. I remember my mother, who was raised on a farm in Minn., telling me her father told her nevernever hang over the hog fence...that the hogs were much more dangerous than the bulls, because the hogs would eat her.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! Well there ya go...and you just had to find out for yourself. Now that you've explained why....I won't have to find out for myself now. lol!

~Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...