a tale of tails, tenacity, and tedium, as told by me, usually barefoot and bellowing

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Taking Time To Enjoy


I heard the tractor in the distance. The shoulder is not completely mended but hubby insists on working. There is always work to do and equipment broken. The bush hog had been repaired so time to wear it out again.
We were following the sounds, the dogs and I. We found the horses grazing and they thought we were bearing gifts of juicy fruits.
We took a trail through the woods, enjoying the journey as much as the destination.

We found beautiful things along the way. This fungi shouted and stood up for the picture to be taken.

We found the bush hogging man, cutting back the weeds so the grass could grow some more before winter. We have been very fortunate this year, our August was wet and there is still an abundance of green grazing for the stock.
Arrow looking for some fruit. It is hard to get a full bodied picture when they get so close.

I stop for a moment to enjoy the vista before me, rolling hills, timber, grass and terraces.
Knot wanted some scratching and was hoping for a treat but all I had were empty hands so he rested his head on mine and we snuggled.

A little double dipping going on in the milk store. One cow has twins but it is not this one. That is one thing nice about this breed of cattle. One cow seems to nurse them all at times while the other mothers are grazing...and they take turns. Why don't people catch on to that trick?
We travel though the "Bone Yard" as I call it. It holds all the equipment currently not in use and pieces of things that may become useful again.
We had made a large circle, came back tired, seed tick and burr covered but all in all, it was a good trip.

9 comments:

Rudee said...

I found it hard enough to nurse one, but I gladly hosted a houseful of babes, mine and others, on several occasions.

I love the daily business of your business.

Girl Tornado said...

What a beautiful walk... I love walking around our property also. And I also love the close-up pics of the horses, such a neat perspective.

You have a wonderful life there! :)

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Super pics and a start to your day. We have had 4 sets of twins in about a year and a half. What's up with that??? I have always been amazed how the cows choose a sitter for the day who watches over the young guns while the other moms graze. What a wonderful support system.

Your fungi reminds me of oceanic coral. You have such a sharp eye for these things. Thanks for sharing and have a great one!!!

Pyatshaw said...

I think most farms have what could be called a "Bone Yard". Often, in Scotland, it was in The "wee field". Lots of farms have a small paddock close to the steading, handy for dumping things in and also used for playing cricket or rounders.
I agree that fungus looks just like a piece of coral-beautiful!

Irene said...

I had never heard of a bone yard to store your unused equipment in. I guess that's like my spare bedroom where the Exfactor stores all his boxes with God knows what. Men always seem to have a lot of extra things that they're going to use some day.

Gennasus said...

You're very lucky to have all that on your doorstep.

I love your easy going cows but am glad that I only had one to nurse at a time!

C-ingspots said...

Beautiful shots Gail!! And, I am loving the new format and the new picture - absolutely gorgeous!! I'm still trying to figure out what I wanna be when I grow up too. I'm leaning towards beach bum...what do ya think?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

The close-ups of Arrow and Knot made me smile, Gail. They look great! And the twin calves double dipping? Adorable!


~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh! And I would have nursed more than my own if someone had asked me, but of course I did have twins, so the milk bar was already a tad bit crowded. lol!

~Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...